Search This Blog

Thursday, February 4, 2016

The Cult of the Personality

It's like I said before but you didn't believe me, there is no morality as we know it in Gilgamesh or in the few ancient Hindu texts I have read. The Law of Moses is the earliest attempt to inject any sense of fairness or justice into religion that I am aware of. Well Hammurabi predates Moses, but not many people know about him, while everybody knows about Moses. Although Old Testament justice seems harsh by today's standards, it was way ahead of anything that preceded it. Even Christianity, which came later, is more about the cult of the personality than it is about following the rules. Although many Christians believe, as you do, that following the rules will get you into Heaven, there is little Biblical reference to back that up. Salvation only comes through a personal relationship with Jesus, who forgives our sins by grace and mercy but, without Moses, there would be no sins to forgive. The only sin Adam and Eve committed was disobedience of a direct order from God, which He delivered to them personally. It would seem that nobody in his right mind would do something like that and, since they didn't know the difference between right and wrong at the time, they were indeed legally not in their right minds.

Those old Mesopotamian gods were a lot like the Greek ones, although I don't think any of them were gay. Gilgamesh himself was a god-mortal hybrid, there was a lot of that going on in those days, so there must have been considerable interaction between the gods and the mortals. Remember that female goddess, whose name I have forgotten, that wanted to mate with Gilgamesh and got so pissed off when he turned her down? The reason he declined the honor was that all her previous lovers had died under mysterious circumstances. That's a recurring theme in Pagan mythology, probably inspired by the changing of the seasons. In some versions the male doesn't die, he just lays dormant during the winter months and wakes up in the spring to help the goddess make everything fertile again. Now that I think of it, that might be the origin of the phrase "May - December romance".

My man Rand dropped out? Did he drop out of the race or just out of the debates? Our primary is next month, so maybe it's too late to remove his name from the ballot. That happened last time, several guys dropped out at the last minute, but their names were on the ballot anyway. If I can't vote for Rand, I don't know who I'm going to vote for.

Lots of my ilk thought it would be the end of the nation, or even the world, when Obama was elected the first time, but we're still here. That's because our Founding Fathers, in their infinite wisdom, created Congress and the Supreme Court as well as the Presidency. If we can survive Obama, I'm sure we can survive Hillary. When I think of it, her husband wasn't so bad, for a Democrat. All he did wrong was get a blow job on government time and then lie about it.

What's wrong with clinging to guns and religion? "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!" What is your ilk clinging to?

I think that email thing is just a tempest in a teapot. It wasn't illegal when she did it, that law was passed later, and we don't have ex post facto laws in this country. I'm not so sure about Benghazi, I think somebody screwed up there, but I'm not convinced it was Hillary. She likely just passed on the information that her people gave her, not unlike Bush II with those imaginary WMDs in Iraq.

No comments:

Post a Comment