Search This Blog

Monday, June 19, 2023

leaf it to me

 Well that's what you get, as the old oleo commercial said, when you fool with Mother Nature.  Everything works out pretty well when you let Mother Nature use her cruel but efficient tool of natural selection to guide genetics.  But when Man, Mother Nature's bad boy, takes it upon himself to guide genetics, he does the critter no good.  Well in the case of working dogs, I guess you need a hot dog dog to get into those badger holes but anymore dogs don't do much work, but madmen still work maintaining these breeds and it's just vanity and doesn't do any good for the dogs.


I have been going to my garden recently for inspirations for my hobby.  I first started taking photos of my garden in 2007 and now I have sixteen years of photos to choose from.  Normally I would do the flowers but this time my attention has been diverted to leaves. Beagles knows this because every Sunday he 'likes' whatever I have posted for the weeks.  Sometimes I get the feeling he is just doing this pro forma and isn't even paying attention to my deft use of burnt sienna, but hey, we all want to be popular don't we?

As a man of science what particularly fascinates me is the veins.  All the leaves on the plant have the same shape, and there must be a optimal vein pattern that gets the nutrients to every cell in the leaf.  Shouldn't they all have the same leaf pattern?

 

 Well they sort of do in general, but when you stray from the general plan you notice that they are sort of winging it.  What's going on on the left is not the same as what is going on with the right, and the more minor and further away from the main veins there is considerably more variation.

I suppose it has something to do with how much sunlight the leaf was getting at various points over time, maybe the flow of sap has something to do with it.

Anyway, as a good gentleman scientist like Old Dog, I intend on doing more research.

No comments:

Post a Comment