Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 27, 2023

art and science

 What more encouragement can an artist hope for than you're getting there!  That's what we want you know, to be getting somewhere if only not to be where we once were.  Oh and look at that a whole table tiled with Uncle Ken's greatest hits.

The next photo shows the greatest hits buried under what appears to be mostly the tools of the gentleman (or mad, potato potahtoe) scientist.  Is that digital printer poop in the lower right?

And what's this, a digital microscope.  Way back when I was a bit of a youth scientist, a possibly budding biochemist (See the Gage Park Year Book 1963), I bought myself a microscope.  I had three or four aquariums holding tropical fish and all I had to do was dip an eyedropper into the somewhat murky waters and splash it on the slide and there was a whole world of outlandish critters going about their business unaware that they were being observed by a godlike hairless ape with a ginormous brain.  Unaware that is until I added the salt and they all exploded.  Not all gods are good all the time.

Once when my nephews were young and seemingly drifting I had the great idea of getting them some kind of kiddie microscope to nudge them unto the road of enlightenment.  But those were the pre internet days and I couldn't find any, and subsequently they shunned the shining path of science.

And of course I wanted one for myself also.  But I just scratched my head and figuring such instruments were not to be found, carried on with my life.

Until now.  I have been using that google photos thing where you keep pressing the little magnifying glass with the + inside and watching as I fall into the leaf from a great distance and that tiny vein becomes a monstrous artery feeding a forest of tinier veins, and then deep beyond that to the quantum foam.  Well actually just to where separate square pixels take over the screen.  But close enough.  Nobody knows what quantum foam looks like.  I think.

But suddenly I learn that there are affordable digital microscopes!!! 

Off to the Amazon and oh my sweet lord an armada of instruments, from like ten bucks to like five hundred bucks and each one with different capabilities I assume.  I could use Old Dog's experience and sagacity at this point.  In exchange I could gladly fill in the gaps in Uncle Ken's greatest hits for his table.  Perhaps we could continue this matter through emails.

Haven't done much with the leaves.  Have been taking photos of them every day and well just interesting things.





No comments:

Post a Comment