Search This Blog

Thursday, October 6, 2022

RIP Loretta


 I saw that moon. This is what it looked like downtown at an earlier time in the evening with a much inferior android camera.

Almost a beautiful summer.  It was quite a sweatbox for a week or two in early June when I had my opening.  Quite a different city from when you are watching a movie on the roof with the cool breezes of the evening and when you are death marching down State in the early afternoon with the sun beating down and the trucks honking and that casual stink that can arise from the city at that time of day.

But yeah, better than Florida.  Not only hurricanes and DeSantis but also the bugs never die.  Drain flies, yes that is what they are, never knew what to call them before.  Never heard of no-see-ums either.  I am familiar with the clouds of gnats you walk through on an otherwise fine summer evening, but I don't know what comes indoors.


And, though I style myself as The Tomato Whisperer, I have no idea why the plum tomatoes would come up purplish.  And I don't know about their sexes, and why some plants need the mixture of pollen to bear fruit while some don't, is another thing I don't know and I would go to the wiki but I hear it is complicated and I want to do more things with my morning.  Like the skyline in the background.


I've written before that in the early seventies after the bar I would take my little transistor radio up from my basement apartment to the front porch of the big house and at that hour I could pull in a station from faraway Texas and listen to that good old country music I had never heard before,  In those days a country station didn't just play the current hits but also a lot of hits from like twenty years before and I heard the songs of Ernest Tubbs and Ferlin Husky that I had never heard  before.  It was a whole nother world.

I don't know most of the names listed by Dollar Country but listening to a few of the songs they sound like the country stars of the 50s who I heard between Transtar Rose hawking motor honey.  And yeah, country music on the radio has been in the toilet since around the early eighties.

Loretta Lynn was one of my favorites in those days and she has finally passed.  Well I haven't listened to her CDs in quite awhile, and I was not surprised when the obits talked about how she broke barriers with talking about divorce and not being treated right by her man, which is what they say whenever a girl singer dies, and which is all true except for the part about breaking barriers because country singers have been singing about that since before the Grand Ole Opry, and contrary to what the lame stream media would have you believe there have also been girl singers.  Just a lazy condescending attitude which pisses me off which is why I brought it up.

RIP Loretta

No comments:

Post a Comment