Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 5, 2022

A nice evening in October

Seems like only a couple of weeks ago that us city slickers were enjoying beautiful summer weather with temps in the 70s and 80s and then BAM!  The Weather Gods hit the switch and suddenly it cooled down, big time, with the temps in the 50s and 60s.  No complaints, though, since it's great sleeping weather with clear skies but the transition was a bit sudden.

But who am I to make a critical observation about the weather since it's been nearly perfect all summer long?  I think of those poor folks in Florida with the fury of Ian turning their lives (and homes) upside down.  A lot of retirees from the northern states are wondering what happened, and what comes next.  Cold winters and snow don't seem so bad to me, all things considered.

-----

At one time I think Uncle Ken mentioned he had some tomatoes growing in his Hanging Garden of Marina City, and now I have a question for him.  My first attempt at growing Roma tomatoes from seed failed; seems I didn't know about removing that gooey coating from the seeds.  That coating retards germination and the seeds won't sprout until it's removed.  Fair deal, the second attempt worked much better.  A low yield of seedlings this time which is better than no yield.  But some seedling stalks are green and others are a reddish-purple, and I don't know why.  Are some male plants and others female?  These plants were re-potted today and I hope they succeed; you never know.




With all my plants I've been hit with an invasion of No-See-Ums, or whatever those pesky little gnats are called in your neighborhood.  Maybe I had them last year but didn't notice because of my cataracts.  They're not those little drain flies; I had them in my old place but these guys are smaller, no problem for them to sneak in through the window screen.  They live in the potting soil, munching on mold, or so I've read.  I've been keeping them in check with the old stand-by: flypaper.  You may remember it from years gone by or from old cartoons; you can still buy it, and it still works.  Great stuff.

-----

I know Mr. Beagles has a fondness for authentic folk music and I suspect he may enjoy some country music.  Not the contemporary "Hollywood" type but the real deal and very obscure.  I found this site today and the music is very refreshing, in my opinion, and may be worth a listen.  You can find it here: http://www.dollarcountry.org/

Nice pictures of the sun and moon.

Glad you liked them.  Here's a half-moon I shot the other night through a window screen.  Turned out well, I think.



No comments:

Post a Comment