Search This Blog

Monday, October 17, 2022

murder one

 


Well how is that for humongous?  Not quite the fashion plate that I imagined Old Dog was after his op.  But like him mine was gone the next day and yes, now I have a tough regimen of eye drops to take for like a month.

Before the op the bad eye though dark and increasingly blurry still had the ability to read newspapers and books if I held them right up to my eye.  But now the closer I hold the reading material up to my eye it just gets blurrier.

I have entered the world of reading glasses.  Anywhere I go I have to carry them with me in case I need to read anything.  A new habit to learn for an old dog, and note that I say an old dog rather than the old dog.


I vaguely remember putting that little notch against the string and trying to hold it there while I pulled it back, and the rubber tipped arrows went approximately where I wanted them to, which is pretty good I guess, but I was more a Captain Video guy than a Cowboy and Indian guy and I was more into ray guns.


Way back in Champaign days I knew some people who lived in a house along with a raccoon or possum or suchlike critter who was an unwelcome guest.  One of the guys had been a crossbow guy before he became a hippie, and he volunteered, to take care of the situation and camped out in the kitchen with a box of tasty cereal spread across the table.  

I am sure that he was most likely doing this to impress the chicks because why else do we guys do anything.  And he waited there maybe a couple hours, maybe camouflaged or hidden and then the critter made his entrance and the archer's aim was true and the critter was dead, and he was ready to bathe in the glory of a successful hunter.

But when the chicks saw it with the bolt in its belly, they were all eeewww, and many of the guys were too.  There was the blood and the body which was gross, but also well, it seemed like murder.  Stalking the prey was one thing, but putting out bait and waiting there was something awfully premeditated which makes it murder one.

He did not win the hearts of any ladies, or the admiration of his aim from the guys.  The dead critter's body was removed unceremoniously and the whole affair was never spoken again.

No comments:

Post a Comment