Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 6, 2022

No Blueberries in Beaglesonia

 I don't know of anybody who has tried to grow blueberries around here.  There was a type of wild blueberry that grew around where we used to live in Indian River back in the 70s.  The locals called them "huckleberries".  They were plentiful and tasty, but much smaller than the blueberries that you buy in the store.  I think you actually burned more calories picking them than you got from eating them.  You could eat everyone you picked and keep getting hungrier and hungrier until you finally had to give up and go get some real food.  They grew in dry sandy soil that wouldn't support much else except jack pines. 

Growing trees from pits might be a fun hobby, but I doubt that you will ever get anything that produces fruit as good as the stuff from which the pits were obtained.  That's because most fruit trees are hybrids that are grafted onto roots of hardier stock.  It seems unlikely to me that the seeds would breed true, but I could be wrong about that.  

What I found interesting about the link I posted last night was that the British are so obsessed with American politics.  I think Canadians are like that too.  There were a few Canadians on a site I used to frequent, and they seemed to be more interested in American politics than their own.  I have often wondered why we see so little Canadian, or British news for that matter, in our own media.  Is it that nothing interesting happens in those countries, or that nobody cares about it?   Be that as it may, I think the article got this part right:

What the United States in fact “teaches us” is that judicial activism is a foolish and flimsy way to change policy. As Ruth Bader Ginsburg accurately predicted, “A court too sure of itself on these matters may, in its zeal, take a giant stride, only to find itself perilously positioned on an unstable doctrinal limb.”    

No comments:

Post a Comment