Search This Blog

Friday, July 22, 2022

Batting sixth, and playing third...

 That's my tower to the east.  I am in the lowest ring, the lower east side of the lower east side of the lower east side of the east tower.  Come Columbus Day I will have lived here for thirty years, almost half my life.  Good years mostly.


I like the way the seedling stretches out to the stars.  I was thinking he ought to have a name, and then it occurred to me that he does: Red Mango.  Third base for the Pittsburgh Pirates, 1933-1939, good glove, occasional power, maybe a little too fond of the Miller High Life, but a good family man, Fred, Ned, and Zed, and of course Fredricka who played the screaming young woman in many of those fabulous monster movies of the 50's.

Ned though, I was thinking a couple days ago, what is it short for?  Well it turns out that it is short for Edward.  WTF.  So if you want to honor Ned Flanders by naming the kid after him, you have to name him Edward, and then bypass the obvious Ed, and call him Ned.  I suppose you could name him Nedward, no probably not.

Old Dog and I have names with the full panoply, Kenneth, Ken, Kenny; Donald, Donny, Don, which we can choose from depending on the occasion, but what of our friend out in the swamp?  

Carl?  I suppose you could go to Carlton, but Carlie does not sound right at all.  You could do the Karl thing which is a little sinister, but also exotic.


The particular section of internet health care that I sampled, didn't seem to worry too much about it.  Eat right young man, and get plenty of exercise and fresh air and you'll be just fine.  You might want to cut down on the beer though.  Yeah right.  That Mayo Clinic, bunch of worry warts if you ask me.  They'd have you packing your suitcase and taking the Amtrak to Minnesota at the drop of a hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment