Search This Blog

Thursday, May 12, 2022

Who da Man?

Well you know, Old Dog, it says on the box, right on the goldern Jiffy box itself...

Exactly.  Even the manufacturer makes a distinction between corn muffins and cornbread.

So you see it's all the same dadgum thing  The only difference is what you put the gunk into.

Here we differ.  You can use the same ingredients but depending on preparation, proportions, and cooking method you can end up with bread, cookies, cake, waffles, and more.  Perhaps the subtle differences between these products elude Uncle Ken.

I will speak of fun in the kitchen no longer since cooking is too much work,  too involved, and too dangerous for certain individuals.  If you're happy eating the same thing, day after day for more than twenty years, well, as they say down South, "Bless your heart!"

-----

I'm not getting much out of the "standing up to the man" thread except that it seems to me that it's a lot of talk and little action.  More thought is required on my part but the bit about "dope insights" was funny to me.  In college, a lot of my cohorts got high and they just assumed I was high all the time, too.  I wasn't, never went near the stuff until my third year.  Same thing overseas in the army.  The "hostesses" in the clubs all thought I was on heroin, just sitting quietly and listening to the music.  It's good to have an imagination, I think, because you are seldom bored but the casual observer may think you are a bit "tetched in the head."  And perhaps they're right.

-----

Interesting local news, Uncle Ken.  I'll miss that bright spot of color that the Orange Garden brings to Irving Park, but little else.  I don't think of it as my neighborhood anymore since it's a half mile away or so, but it's still walking distance and I've been living in the area off and on for more than 65 years; the memories go way back.  A lot has changed but a surprising amount of things have stayed the same.  No more Army/Navy Surplus Stores though, they used to be all over the place.

The sale of the Ten Cat is inevitable, I suppose.  This is the first bar that I've been to from the beginning to the end; I shopped at Connie's vintage clothing store before they made it the Ten Cat, and I'll see it close.  I even have something that I can leave behind, the white vinyl numbers above the front door.  The "3931?"  I did that, thankyouverymuch.

Liquor licenses stay with the property but the Ten Cat has a highly coveted Tavern License, which means they don't have to serve food.  Such license are tough to come by these days but it's a lot easier when you don't have to deal with a kitchen and the food licensing required.  A quick Googling revealed a number of bars for sale on the north side, many have kitchens and it takes less to buy a bar than I thought.  But they all rent, and many thousands of bucks a month is a heavy nut to make.  But buy the Ten Cat and the building is included, such a deal!  Wouldn't it be great if a bunch of the regulars got together, formed an LLC, and bought the place?  It might go downhill in a hurry but it would be a hell of a ride.



No comments:

Post a Comment