Search This Blog

Thursday, May 5, 2022

A Fine Topic

 "My impression is that the dawgs are not fond of this sort of thing, and I have been avoiding it so as not to discourage them from posting."

Au Contraire mon ami, I think this is a fine topic for discussion.  I have not been posting lately because I have run out if things to write about that haven't already been beaten into the ground.  This is just what we need, some fresh fodder for our cannons.

"The next item on my dope insights list has to do with the protestors of the sixties (because we were young and we thought what we were doing what's right) and the mob of January 6 (they thought what they were doing was right, but they weren't young).  What is the difference, what is going on here?"

My knee jerk response is that the Hippies were left wing nuts while the January Sixers were right wing nuts, but I'm not sure those labels apply anymore.  Back in the day, it was generally understood that the lefties were pro-communist while the righties were anti-communist.  Now it seems that they have both switched sides, with the lefties supporting the Ukrainians and the righties leaning towards Russia.  This wouldn't be the first time in history that has happened.  Teddy Roosevelt, a Republican, called himself a "progressive" you know.  Then there was William Jennings Bryan, who was central to the Progressive Party that was subsequently assimilated by the Democrats.  Abe Lincoln was a Republican who opposed slavery, while the Democrats defended it.  Now it's the Democrats who favor the colored people while the Republicans tend to distance themselves from their causes.  

Myself, I feel like a man without a party anymore.  The Republicans are mostly Trumpists and the Democrats still want to raise my taxes and take away my guns.  The Libertarians don't want to do that, but they seem intent on turning the country over to queers and colored people just like the Democrats.  Michigan's primary isn't till August, but a number of statewide candidates are nominated by party convention instead of the primary election.  The Republican choice for Attorney General is a Trumpist, while the Democratic incumbent is queer as a three-dollar bill.  What kind of a choice is that?

Meanwhile, I haven't just been killing time during my posting hiatus.  Among other things, I have learned the Ukrainian Battle Cry:  "Idit ebat sebe!"  The Google Translator not only translated and transliterated it for me but taught me how to pronounce it as well.  This goes to show that you are never too old to learn something new and useful.







No comments:

Post a Comment