Search This Blog

Monday, February 8, 2021

Winter wonderland

I don't remember the last time I saw a good, old fashioned winter in Chicago, but By Golly! we have one now.  About a foot of snow on the ground and temperatures in the single digits; this is more like it!  Traipsing to and from the supermarket can be a little tricky because of poor footing and maintaining your balance with your hands full carrying bags, but it's a fine challenge.  The big problem is fogging eyeglasses because of the face mask; I sometimes have to pause to get a good look at the icy and lumpy sidewalk ahead of me.

-----

So I'm in the store and couldn't help but notice the variety of yeasts that are available.  Is there still a shortage with the merchants serving Cheboygan, Mr. Beagles?  Despite the good supply of yeast in this area I'm giving sourdough a try.  I found a recipe for Finnish sourdough rye that looks pretty interesting but it will be a couple of weeks before the sourdough is alive and kicking.

-----

Trump is out of office and yet the political nonsense continues.  It seems to me that most of the discussions are about personalities rather than actual issues.  Lots of finger pointing, arm waving, and name calling but not a lot of substance.  You have to dig a little further than I'm willing to go before you can get to the meat of some of the issues.  And the swamp still needs draining and I fear that Biden is going to be a big disappointment to a lot of people.  I can't put my finger on it but it seems to me that he is being very carefully managed.  Mental lapses from a long time political hack can be problematic, regardless of good intentions.

-----

And because we don't have enough problems with the Covid pandemic, there is a new bacterium that is killing chimpanzees and researchers are worried that it could cross over to humans.  Yikes!

Uncle Ken, I dug a little and found out more about that vaccine that had different results in different countries.  I probably misread the article, or it was poorly phrased, but they were talking about the variants in different countries, not the original virus.  Mea Culpa.



No comments:

Post a Comment