Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2021

Happy Friday

 Got my second vac today.  The last thing I read was that you get the full 95% immunity about three weeks after the first shot and the second shot is to keep that immunity going  for, well nobody is sure how long it lasts because it's brand new.  

There is still that small chance that I might get it, but if I do it will probably just be mild, like the flu maybe.  So I can still spread it, so I will have to continue with the mask,  Not for my safety, just for other people, but now I won't feel so uptight when some jerk boards the train with his mask below his nose.  

Funny when it first hit I was pretty uptight about catching it.  I would dash through the grocery store picking up this and that and getting out of there as soon as I could.  But as the months passed and I didn't get it, even though it was getting worse every day, I became less afraid of it.  I was still careful, but I didn't worry so much.  It was like when I first started taking airplanes I would have to put away a few beers at the airport bar and more in flight, and still I would be staring nervously at the wing wondering when it would fall off.  After maybe a half dozen flights with no crashes I wasn't worried at all and I couldn't even tease myself into a scare by thinking of the wing falling off.  


I got my vacs at Hyde Park, that strange intellectual island surrounded by the ghetto.  I could have gone to college there you know.  When you take those entrance tests they send them to three colleges of your choice, and one of mine was U Chicago which accepted me.  I imagine the classes would have been more difficult than the ones at U Illinois which I struggled with, but on the other hand I would have been a commuter student and I would not have been surrounded by bars that served underage kids like me.  But of course my main reason for going to college was to get away from the house so that I could live free.

Still there is something special about Hyde Park.  It just seems so intellectual.  I always feel that even the kid at the fast food making my hot dog is twice as smart as I am.


And the temps should be above zero by the end of the weekend,  In Sheboygan too.  I have been watching those weather maps and despite being about two hundred miles north of us Sheboygan has been slightly warmer than Chicago.  Doesn't seem fair.  Covid cases are way down in Illinois and in the rest of the US, even Florida I think.  And Trump, well it is hard to tell.  The battle between the Ever and the Never Trumpers looks pretty even so far.  But at least we only hear from him like once or twice a week and then not for very long.  That whining sneering voice has largely vanished from the airwaves and that is a good thing.

So happy Friday everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment