Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Kindergarten Baby wash your face in gravy

 Now there is some information about pasties.  I wonder if there is a story about I don't know, some crusty vet selling pasties, or maybe there is some fable about the boy who saved the little Finnish village by bonking the yeti with a stale pastie.

Rutabagas aye?  I bought one at the farmer's market but it was hard as a rock.  Once I got the rind off and cooked it it was okay, but it took forever to get that rind off.  I rather prefer the turnip (indeed google sez that rutabaga is a half-breed, half turnip and half cabbage).  I really liked the turnip back in the day when however many turnips you stuck into that flimsy plastic bag and put on the self-serve scale the cost turned out to fifty cents for the lot.  But somebody ratted and now you have to pay the full $1.79 @ pound.  Which isn't bad, but if the only turnips are those those big old boys that you have to saw through I pass them by.  Likely to purchase parsnips, which are much easier to slice, but they have a slightly sweetish taste that pleases me not.

Those gravy soaked crusts sound appealing.  Why is it that there is all this fancy food made by guys with hats twice the size of their heads who spend years learning and pull down a fortune, but when you come down right to it, nothing beats some kind of bread soaked in gravy?

This is off the subject, but one of my earliest memories is coming out the Kindergarten door and some older kid, a second grade bruiser perhaps, yelled at me.  "Kindergarten baby, wash your face in gravy."  I did not have a comeback.  Still don't.  


OMG.  Just took a little side trip down google lane and there is a taunt, that continues to this very day, of Kindergarten baby born in the gravy, or Kindergarten Baby stick your head in gravy.  The latter, I suspect an offshoot of the former.  

I swear this is the first time I have heard that phrase since that day seventy years ago on the sidewalk of Tonti Elementary.  And about half an hour's search has not gotten me any closer to its origin.  

I notice that Old Dog has not, as is his custom, posted yesterday. He has a canny way of slashing through the internet jungle.  Perhaps he can come up with something.

No comments:

Post a Comment