Search This Blog

Friday, January 17, 2020

Endless Wars

"They all look alike to you because you don't know any better.  Your ignorance of the mideast is profound and astonishing.  I know I have spent a lot of my morning hours explaining it to you, but it has all been for naught.  You know very little and you are not interested in learning more.  I used to kind of enjoy explaining things to you and dismantling your arguments.  Much of what you say is false and even the arguments, you make from those falsities do not logically follow.  There is no point in me addressing them and I won't bother today." - Uncle Ken - 1/8/20

Okay, I was mistaken. Uncle Ken didn't want to stop talking about the Middle East forever, just for that one day.  Like I said, a certain amount of memory loss is normal at my age.  Uncle Ken was right when he said that I know very little about the Middle East and am not interested in learning more.  The subject has been in the news, off and on, since I was a little kid, and I already know more about it than I ever wanted to.  I will concede, however, that the difference between Bin Laden and that other guy is that everybody knew Bin Laden's name, and most of us never heard of that Iranian general until he was dead.  The main reason for that is the news media shoved Bin Laden down our throats for years and, for some reason, they chose not to do that with the Iranian guy.

We have talked in the past about World War II being the last "good" war.  The difference between a good war and a bad war is a good war is one that we decisively win in a reasonable amount of time.  I have speculated in the past about why our government chooses not to win wars anymore, but I have no proof so there's no point in flogging that dead horse.  When Trump had that general killed, it awoke a glimmer of hope in me that they were actually trying to win this one, but a few days later it was back to business as usual.  The proper way to end an endless war is to win it decisively.  If I, in my "profound and astonishing" ignorance, know that, I'm sure that all those highly educated muck-a-mucks know it too.  If they don't do it, it's not that they can't, it's that they don't want to.



No comments:

Post a Comment