Search This Blog

Monday, January 6, 2020

Leading to War?

"Am I missing something or is this leading us directly to war?" - Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken is not the only one who is concerned that killing that general might lead to war with Iran.  Silly me, I thought we had been at war with Iran ever since they took those hostages back in 1979.  The more I think about it, though, I can understand why some people might be confused about this.  A traditional war is where two or more nation states engage in combat with each other, and we haven't had one of those since World War II.  I have heard what they do nowadays called  "proxy wars".  I think the phrase originated in the corporate world, but I don't understand how it works in that context.  The way it works in real life is like what happened in Korea and Vietnam.  The Korean War was really against the Red Chinese, and the Vietnam War was really against the Russians but, for some reason, they didn't want to admit that, so they pretended it was against these little puppet countries.  Iran has indeed been waging war against us since 1979, but I believe this is the first time we fought back directly against Iran.  Before this we fought with the Taliban, Al Qaeda, and The Islamic State, which were probably just proxies for Iran, although it's possible that Iran is itself a proxy for something else, perhaps Russia.

Then there's Israel.  I remember when all those Islamic countries used to be mad at Israel but, at some point, they transferred their animosity to us, and you hardly ever hear about Israel anymore.  It just occurred to me that they might view Israel as a proxy for the United States, and maybe it is.  Maybe the bad guys got tired of fooling around with the puppet and decided to attack the puppet master.  If that be the case, maybe we could solve this whole thing by evacuating all the Jews from Israel and bringing them to the U.S., which already has more Jews in it than Israel.  Then we could bring our own troops home and give the Islamics free run in the Middle East.  They would still fight among themselves, but it wouldn't matter because no good guys would be in the line of fire.  

No comments:

Post a Comment