Search This Blog

Monday, August 3, 2015

stoics vs utilitarians

I've never understood why cannibalism was such a taboo.  Killing a person would be wrong, but once you did that, or somebody else did, I don't see how eating the dead guy makes anything worse.  Like those guys in that Andes plane crash and they were so shocked by them eating their dead comrades, and to me it is just a perfectly logical thing to do.  My favorite cannibal joke is where the guy walks into the cannibal restaurant and the menu says, Regular People.... $10.  Hippies.... $50, and he asks the waiter how come so much for a hippie and the waiter replies, "Did you ever try to clean one of those suckers?"

It wasn't my plan, at least the last time I brought it up, that liberals are more moral than conservatives, I don't believe I said that, I just wanted to point out that they have different moralities, stoics. where they believe acts can be moral in and of themselves, for the conservatives, and utilitarianists, where what is important is the consequences of the acts, not necessarily the act itself, for the liberals. 

This bible stuff, I don't think you have ever explained why we can disobey it on eating shellfish but not on homosexuality.  You know the Romans were pretty tolerant on homosexuality and the Greeks more than tolerant.  It was the Jews who were uptight about sex and then when western civ took up with a variant of their religion we took up with all that higgery priggery.  I don't know where you get that the moral code abandoned the conservatives.  They still have their moral code and in it homosexuality is still some kind of sin.  You know there are two arguments against the idea that since we have been doing something so long we should just continue to do it.  One argument is to explain that we really haven't been doing it so long, and the second, better, argument is:  So what?

We've been through that argument about the distribution of goods several times, and I agree it is a sticky wicket.  Most people don't want to distribute their goods, and most people with a lot of goods have the power to resist them being distributed, and it's kind of against human nature.  Generally we liberals just push for more for the poor, because they could use it more.  Well there is that whole thing about giving to the poor that we have been over also many many times.

Basically I just wanted to point out that generally conservatives and liberals have two different kinds of moral codes, and that was all.

The first Republican debate is coming up this Thursday, I'll be stocking up on popcorn.  Will you be watching?  Do you have a horse in this race?

No comments:

Post a Comment