Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

the crucible again

A day without internet is a terrible thing, but now it is over

I don't know what you mean when you say you disapprove of homosexuality.  Do you want to put them in prison?  Do you want to segregate them?  Do you not want them as coworkers or as neighbors?  Do you not want to do business with them?  Do you just not want them to be legally married?  Is marriage ok, but you don't want to have to bake the cake with the two little grooms on top of it?  How does your disapproval translate into action? 

How is it common sense?  To me that implies a little thinking, usually one step thinking, one if/then like watching the sun rise and fall and thinking it must circle the earth.  I think common sense is way over rated.  The basic premise of it is that the world is a simple place, and those of us who have been living on it for a little while know that almost everything is more complicated than it seemed at first.

Who came up with 'when there is no reason to change, there is not reason to change'?  I never heard it.  I imagine it means the same thing as if it ain't broke don't fix it.  But the problem is how do you determine whether it is broken or not?  Generally the phrase is used by people who don't want to fix it whether it is broken or not.  Maybe like the automakers in Detroit who never saw a reason to fix their theory until it was way too late.

I don't know why the burden is on me.  You are the one who has singled out certain people for disapproval, you are the one who has taken action, by making a decision.  You must have made a decision somewhere because I don't imagine you were born disapproving of homosexuality. 

Well maybe you disapprove of homosexuality.  Maybe the people who do it, the homosexuals are ok in your book, but you just wish they didn't do that stuff, you just want to walk around going tsk tsk all the time.

Well you know what i disapprove of, people who are unwilling to put their believes to the crucible, people who say in effect, maybe my opinions are true and worthwhile, and maybe they are full of shit, and I don't want to bother to find out which is the case.


The main thing I wanted to do with Cecil case was express my disapproval of those big game hunter types.  I don't care that much whether he gets arrested or not.  I imagine the laws of Zimbabwe are pretty fuzzy, and surely there is a lot of corruption and all.  I just wonder what kind of person does a thing like that.  I don't understand why people climb mountains either.  Well maybe I can understand it a little.  It does take a lot of skill, takes a lot of overcoming discomfort, even if the goal is pointless.  I guess the big game hunter is like a mountain climber who is carried to the peak in one of those chairs supported by guys carrying the poles.

No comments:

Post a Comment