Search This Blog

Monday, August 3, 2015

Carved in Stone

I must have misunderstood you. I thought you said that liberals are more moral than conservatives but, since you didn't, we've got nothing to argue about in that respect. Speaking of misunderstandings, I didn't say that homosexuality is a sin, just that it's a moral issue. The Bible is only one source of moral guidance, and I'm not so sure that I even believe in sin anymore. The reason I compared it to cannibalism is that they are both something that a person can oppose without making a logical argument to justify his position. People generally do not refrain from either of those two practices for logical reasons, they refrain from them for emotional or intuitive reasons. If your emotions and/or intuition cause you to lean the other way, it doesn't mean that you are immoral, just that you have a different sense of morality than I do.

Some time ago, I got involved in an internet argument about relative and absolute moral codes. I was the lone absolutist and the relativists seemed to be winning. In an attempt to cut my losses, I proposed the following compromise: "My moral code is absolute, everybody else's is relative." One of the relativists accused me of being an existentialist, but I think he meant solophist. I see that out spell check program claims there is no such word, and my hypothetical wife is using our dictionary at the moment. What do you call a guy who believes the whole universe only exists in his own perception? Anyway, I'm not one of those. The reason I said that my moral code was absolute is that it is not likely to change anytime soon. I did all my soul searching a long time ago, and what I ended up with is pretty much carved in stone by now. If all you people want to change your moral code, I can't do anything about that, but that doesn't mean that I have to change mine, and I won't.

They're having debates already? This isn't even an election year! I suppose it's like Christmas. They used to start the Christmas season right after Thanksgiving, which is way to early as far as I'm concerned. By the time Christmas comes, I'm tired of it already. Then they moved it up to Halloween. What's next, Labor Day? They did the same thing with deer season. Opening day, November 15, used to be a big deal around here, kind of like Christmas. Now they have several early seasons for bow hunters, youth hunters, and I don't know what all. From what I've read in my hunting magazines, it's even worse in some other states, with seasons starting as early as September. November 15 passes almost without notice. Is nothing sacred anymore?

Another thing is that they have way too many candidates. Who can keep track of them all? Anyway, I'm planning to vote for Rand Paul, but that's not exactly carved in stone. If, for instance, I found out that he was in favor of gay marriage, I would have to rethink my position.

No comments:

Post a Comment