Search This Blog

Monday, August 24, 2015

rationalizing vs reasoning

I think children do know which is which as far as right or wrong in the sense of do unto others, they seem to know right away if somebody is being treated wrongly and they don't like it.  Not that I am endorsing it, but I don't see what is intrinsically wrong with cannibalism.  Killing people is wrong, but eating them afterwards doesn't make it any wronger.  It's kind of icky and that's why I don't think we see it in more advanced countries, but I don't see it as any kind of sin at all, except maybe ftpotd if you thought it was wrong and did it anyway.  i suppose it would be a sin for you, but it wouldn't be one for me.

Rationalizing is wrong first of all because it is lying, it is bending the truth, and you know how I hate that.  It is bending logic to serve some personal desire rather than seeking out the truth, it is warping the crucible.  The regular person, the good member of the St Nicholas flock, would go out and sin, say go out and get drunk and spend a good part of his paycheck buying drinks for floozies, and the next day, would realize that he had done wrong and would work overtime the next week and use the money to buy his family a new tv.  The not so good member, the rationalizer, would think, well the boss had been riding him unfairly and that had built up a bunch of stress and rather than go home after work and take it out on his family, he went to the bar so that the floozies could comfort him, so really he did the right thing, and there would be no new tv for the family.

I don't know about your rationalizing before the fact.  It doesn't sound like you were actually rationalizing if you couldn't find a clear path to what you were trying to do.  That sounds more like reasoning, for which I can only applaud you.  And I guess this only strengthens the fact of your being without sin.

So the stories you heard about sex were inconsistent and contradictory so you went to the bible, the stories of polygamy and slave girls and rampant sleeping around, and dare I say inconsistency and contradictions, and you came away with nothing,  And then you say you read everything you could get your hands on (is that another little joke like slipping in the back door?), and then you decided that sex was a good thing.  Was it possible that it might have turned out to be a bad thing?

I've heard of the missionary position, but I have never heard of the honest and responsible position.  Of course we should be honest and responsible in all our relations with other people, but I don't see where it relates to sex.

You think it would have been preferable to be celibate and rich?  What would you do with all the money in Beaglesonia?  Would Beaglesonia be even bigger, would you be eating caviar instead of deer and fish?  I expect you could have funded your campaign and become mayor or something and ruled over Cheboygan with your enlightened philosophy so that it would be a wonder for all to behold.

I've got the Lost City open to page 112, and I was going to go on about the St Nicholas flock, but it's already a little late in the morning for me, so maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment