Search This Blog

Thursday, June 11, 2015

mending fences with Prometheus

So I guess you are saying that the army went to that hitch thing, doing a hitch, after WW 2 to make living in the army less onerous, since there wasn't a war going on?  Well they still had the draft, and there was no resistance to it at the time.  I remember when my older neighbor got drafted into the army when I was maybe in the 8th grade, and I fully expected to go when my time came.  Do you remember registering for the draft when you were eighteen?  Kind of a right of passage.  Do you know what the army was thinking when they went from the system of WW2 to the system of Vietnam?

Prometheus is an odd character.  Well all those Greek gods were odd characters in that they weren't necessarily good or evil, and many of them were good sometimes and bad sometimes.  So we humans had to be happy with getting fire from Prometheus, but then he received this awful punishment which maybe would piss people off, but then he did disobey the gods, capricious as they might be, so he had to be punished.  That's kind of the way the Greeks thought I think.  That's how their plays go isn't it?  Well I don't know, I've never read any.  The first plays ever written, what were people thinking when they were writing them?  I suppose I should do some research on it.  I wish they still had Classics comics.

But anyway, Prometheus is a lot like Adam and Eve eating that apple.  You know I never thought eating that apple was such a bad thing.  Shouldn't we know the difference between good and evil, and what was God's reason for not wanting us to eat it, because He said so.  I hate the because I said so reason, except when I was a substitute teacher and I used it all the time.

I don't see much Prometheus in striving for competence.  I think Prometheus is best exemplified by someone like Galileo, who gave us knowledge against the wishes of the church and was punished for it.

But somebody who finds pleasure in a job well done?  Don't we all take pleasure in a job well done?  The job comes first?  What if the barn starts burning when the guy is fixing the fence?   Aren't most of the things we do in life jobs of one sort or another?  How does he decide which one comes first?

With this lack of information I would have to say if the importance of the job is that it will lead to knowledge he is a quester, if it is making it a better world he is a warrior, if it is getting him to the top of whatever heap he is aiming at he is a climber.  If it is just the job in itself, then I am calling him a cruiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment