Search This Blog

Monday, June 15, 2015

Apples and Oranges

I don't think that art and science are either friends or enemies, I think they are two different things like apples and oranges. Art is largely about feelings and, although people can get emotional about science, science is supposed to be about facts. As you have said, two people can look at a painting or listen to a piece of music and come up with two different interpretations of it. Science, not so much, not if it's done correctly. Of course people can choose to believe or not believe something that a scientist says, but that's because we have all seen pronouncements of scientists that have turned out not to be true. Then again, people are prone to believe what they want to believe and reject anything that's not compatible with that. The problem here is not with science, it's with people. If two people do the same experiment the exact same way under the exact same conditions, it should come out the same both times. If it doesn't, then somebody made a mistake or didn't control all the variables.

I've been making my own bread for a long time now. I started out trying to duplicate my grandmother's Bohemian rye bread. She had told me how she made it decades previous, but I didn't write it down and now it was too late to ask Grandma about it. My hypothetical wife knew more about making bread than I did, so I told her what I remembered about Grandma's bread and figured that, between the two of us, we could figure it out. After several failed attempts, I found a couple recipes for Bohemian rye on the internet. Neither of them were even close, so I tinkered around and developed my own version. It's good bread, and I've been making it the same way for years now, but it's not Grandma's Bohemian rye. I once asked a professional baker about this, and he told me that no one can duplicate somebody else's bread. You can make a consistent product yourself but, if you give the recipe to somebody else, his won't come out exactly the same as yours. There are obviously some variables in the process that we don't know about. Of course, we were talking about home made bread. I didn't think to ask him if the same was true about mass produced commercial bread. 

I saw on the news that you guys had a tornado scare in Chicago today. They said that a funnel cloud was spotted near Midway Airport and that sirens were set off in the Loop. They didn't mention any injuries or damages, so I assume that the tornado didn't touch down. I remember the Oak Lawn tornado of 1967. Well, I didn't actually see it, but I was driving from Palos Park to the old neighborhood shortly after it hit. I hadn't had my radio on, so I didn't know about the tornado. The road was blocked up ahead, which I assumed was because of a car wreck, so I turned down a side street and got lost. Well, I wasn't exactly lost, I just didn't know how to get out of there. I finally met some kind of emergency worker who directed me back to the main road and told me that, once I got there, I was to keep driving and not come back. For some time after that, the affected area was cordoned off by police and National Guard, who wouldn't let anybody in who didn't live there. I found out later that the tornado, after plowing through Oak Lawn, skipped right over Chicago and went out into Lake Michigan to die. Pieces of Oak Lawn washed up on the beaches of New Buffalo, Michigan all summer long.

No comments:

Post a Comment