Search This Blog

Monday, June 15, 2015

art and truth, friends or enemies

I stand corrected on my Beagles history.  It's funny how when other people are telling their life stories we never pay as much attention as when we are telling ours.

There are rules.  If you follow the rules you can build a fine birdhouse and a batch of lasagna that is mighty tasty, but there are no rules for painting a picture or writing a song or a book or a movie.  Well there are rules, but they are more like guidelines and then there is something else, and I think that is the thing that pops out of your subconscious.  Hard to describe, just something kind of odd and ambiguous, and people recognize it I guess in their subconscious, and maybe they take away something that they can't quite explain, or maybe they don't see anything.

Or something like that, I don't know, hard to explain and really not sure that I understand it at all.  There are all these discussions about creativity, but I don't think they ever define what they are talking about very well.  Maybe you just look at the world a little sideways so that you see it a little different and then when you reproduce it you bring in all these extra little things that you noticed when you looked at it sideways.  Well I don't know if that makes any sense either.

The strangest thing is that when you follow the rules you make a birdhouse that the birds love or you make a lasagna that everybody cleans their plates of, but maybe you put a whole lot of effort into your painting or song or book or movie, and everybody thinks yeah so what.

I agree with you on the lag time thing.  Orally is way too short, you know you just open your mouth and whatever comes out comes out, and you don't really think too much, you may try to make your point, but then you can't find the words, or maybe you are unsure if you are right about this thing but you have to keep on talking because you are in a conversation and nobody wants to talk to someone who keeps taking breaks, and sometimes you don't remember what you said earlier.  I mean it's a fine thing, I love to talk, and sometimes something may just spark in you and you get a new idea, but really writing is the best.

You can read and reread it, take a little time to think before you put your words down, you can see where somebody might misinterpret something you wrote and rewrite it, everything is just so much clearer when you write it out

And you do kind of need that relatively immediate response that you can't get with snail mail.  After a few days you might not remember as well what you said, and maybe you don't care about it anymore.  I email some people who only respond every couple of weeks and I always tell them to reply rather than start a new letter because I don't remember what they said the last time.

One nice thing about painting over writing is that I can always show my paintings.  I can spring them on people who visit my house or I have those shows where people walking on Ashland can see them.  But writing, just try to get somebody to read what you wrote, it's like pulling teeth.  One of my early shows, I wrote little stories that went with the paintings.  I thought they were great but nobody would admit to reading them.  http://www.bckat.com/KenSchadt/woment/storieshtm.htm

I don't know about your truth thing.  You hear talk about art revealing some kind of truth, but i don't know if I buy into that, and sometimes you hear about art being like science, or science being like art, in seeking truth, and I think that is just crazy man crazy.  I think art and science are almost polar opposites.  We can discuss that this week in our nice baby bear mode of conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment