Search This Blog

Thursday, September 25, 2014

ringing in the universe

You know I’m having trouble understanding your opening sentence. Doesn’t everything precede itself? Before the me of now there was the me of then. I am guessing it means that whatever is here now was always here, or that you can’t get something out of nothing. While the phrase has a ring to it, I give it a D for its lack of clarity.

I guess we have that now with the widely accepted principle of the conservancy of matter and energy, although like the sameness of all electrons I have to wonder how they can be so sure. Do they have a real reason or are they just using common sense? But then there is that problem with the big bang, before it there was nothing, and afterwards there was everything, so where did everything come from? More precisely speaking, I think what they say is that you can’t ask what happened before the big bang, the same way you can’t ask what happens when you divide a number by zero.

Math and logic aren’t exactly the same thing. I think math is a subset of logic. About a hundred years ago they tried to put math on a firm logical footing but it never quite worked out, and then along came Godel and blew the whole thing out of the water. Brainy guy that Godel, blew mathematics a whole new asshole, but eventually died of starvation because he thought everybody was poisoning him.

Neither one of them is a language, you can’t say anything about Spot with them. About the time Godel blew mathematics a whole new asshole, there were a bunch of geniuses hanging out in Vienna and they tried to invent a purely logical way of talking, but then discovered that they couldn’t say anything with it.

Do you think we invented logic? It wasn’t just something we discovered as a part of the universe? I rather think the latter. What is more real, the matter floating around the universe or the rules the universe exists by?

What Obama meant was it was a very bad thing. God is just a figure of speech. When you say god bless you after somebody else sneezes, you are not appealing to some supernatural being to do something, you are saying keep your germ laden snot away from me.


I prefer ISIS to ISIL, it has a better ring to it, and you know how I am about rings. Of course this is just something we call them, they don’t even have letters like us in their Arabic script.

We still haven’t decided how to spell Al Qaeda. Both the left and the right use the word reform when what they really mean is change it to the way we like it. It sounds a little better than soak the rich or squeeze the blood out of the poor, though I myself think the former has a better ring than the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment