Search This Blog

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Bring Back the Wobblies!

"Industrial Workers of the World", it has a nice ring to it, but were the Wobblies ever truly a global power? Labor unions are fond of putting the word "international" in their name, but that usually means only that they have some chapters in Canada. I have said before that, if we're going to have a global economy, we should have global labor unions to go along with it. Many of my conservative brethren would disagree, but I wonder if they have thought it through. They still rant and rave about the threat of global government, but they don't seem to be concerned about the global economy. Since both governments and economies are generally run by the same people, you'd think that the one would bother them as much as the other.

The trend toward part time jobs started long before Obamacare, although Obamacare is almost certain to increase it, if they ever get around to enforcing that part of it. Wal-Mart has always been notorious for that. It's a good place to work if you can ever make it to permanent status, but most of their employees don't.

It's true that politicians are always promising something for nothing, probably because that's what their pollsters tell them people want to hear. I think that's a big part of what's wrong with contemporary society. Our ancestors came to America to make money, but they expected to work for it, not have someone hand it to them on a silver platter. I think that most of today's Hispanic immigrants, both legal and illegal, come here looking for work too but, when they see all the free stuff that's available to them, you can't blame them for taking advantage of it. Even I have said that, if people want to throw their money away, I'll take it. If I don't take it, somebody else who is less deserving than I, most certainly will.

I think that some of the people back in the old neighborhood thought that I was an oddball, as do some of the people who know me today. I never have been overly concerned about other people's opinions of me. I don't know why I'm like that, but I have never seen a good reason to change. Okay, say it's a pretty girl, or somebody who is in a position to hire me for a job. If they take me on, they are going to find out what I'm really like sooner or later, and then they're going to want to get rid of me. Better that they know the truth about me up front, it saves both of us a lot of trouble. 

No comments:

Post a Comment