Search This Blog

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Debates Without Pants

I think they used to have debates in the real world before television was invented. I don't know if there were leagues or anything like that. I think people would get together in a hall or theater and watch two of their local geniuses debate, or maybe a visiting genius would come into town and challenge the local champion. I don't know why I think that, maybe I read about it somewhere or saw it in a movie. There must be some reason they have debates in school, most stuff in school is supposed to prepare you for real life, although some of it might prepare you for a life that no longer exists. I seldom watch the political debates on TV, or tune in when the president is addressing the nation on prime time. My hypothetical wife doesn't like stuff like that, and I don't have the patience to sit through the whole thing anyway. If anything important is said, it will likely be covered on the news the next day and, if I want more information, I can always look it up on Wiki.

We have discussed the fact thing before. Of course some sources are more reliable than others, but not everybody agrees which ones they are. There is no point in quoting a source that the other guy doesn't accept. If you are arguing with a religious person, it might be helpful to quote the Bible, but not with an atheist. A Catholic might accept the Pope as an infallible source, but a Protestant would  not. I think it's nice that you and I both accept Wikipedia. Of course it's subject to error, but no more so than a lot of other sources. Everything on there came from somewhere else, but they usually give you their sources so you can check up on them or get more detailed information. If something gets on there without proper authentication, there will be a warning or disclaimer to that effect, usually posted right at the top of the article. Nevertheless, no source is perfect, not even our own observations.

I don't think that opinions are always based on facts, sometimes they are based on emotions, or a mixture of both facts and emotions. An example that comes to mind is that gay thing. There are almost no facts of which I am aware to support either side of the issue. Okay, it has been around since forever. I guess that's a fact, but that doesn't make it right, and it doesn't mean I have to like it.

I don't find it frustrating that you and I can't seem to change each other's minds about anything important, I think it's a miracle that we get along at all. Think about it: the city mouse and the country mouse, the veteran and the draft dodger, the liberal and the reactionary. About the only things we have in common are that we went to school together and we like to talk about the same subjects.

The thing about the pants is not as perverted as it sounds. I usually take my shower either before or after supper and then put on my long johns and bathrobe to lounge around in during the evening. If I was going somewhere or somebody was coming here, I would have to get dressed in proper clothes. All I meant to say was that you can conduct an internet conversation at your own convenience and in the comfort of your own home. I also like the idea that, unlike a live conversation, you get to think about what you want to say before you say it, and edit it if it doesn't come out right. And yes, if I told you or anybody else something that I thought was true, and later found out that it wasn't, I would certainly update you on it at the earliest opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment