Search This Blog

Friday, September 19, 2014

Reasonably Certain

The problem with objective realism is that the only way we can observe it is with our senses of perception. Of course reality doesn't depend on perception, but perception, either ours or somebody else's, is all we've got to go by. Therefore, we can never be absolutely certain that something is true, the most we can hope for is to be reasonably certain. When we don't observe something ourselves, but depend on somebody else's observation, we have to decide whether or not to believe him. If two different people report contradictory observations, we have to decide which one to believe, or we can disbelieve both of them, but we can't believe both of them if their assertions are mutually exclusive. Another option would be to decide not to decide, at least for now. We can keep an open mind and wait for additional information, perhaps forever. We may never become totally convinced, especially if we don't care enough about the issue to research it further.

This reminds me of an old poem, which can be sung to the tune of Auld Lang Sine:
"It may be so, I just don't know, it sounds so awfully queer.
We hate like hell to doubt your word, but your bull shit don't go here."

Speaking of queer, I was not aware that homosexuals spend a lot of time lounging around in their underwear and bathrobes. Do they indeed spend more time at this than heterosexuals? If so, what is the source of your information? Have studies been done? If so, were the appropriate protocols followed? Even if the assertion is true, we both know that correlation does not establish cause and effect. Does the homosexuality cause the behavior, does the behavior cause the homosexuality, or are the two phenomenon merely coincidental?

The reason I take my showers in the evening is that some of the things I do in the daytime make me dirty and sweaty, and the things I do at night seldom have this effect.  I seem to remember that there was a time in my life when some of the things I did at night made me dirty and sweaty and, when they did, I would usually take another shower in the morning. Of course that was a long time ago. If I took two showers a day at my age, I would likely develop a dry skin condition.

I know that you usually do your internet stuff in the morning, but I usually do mine in the evening. I can get up in the morning if I have to but, I usually don't anymore because most of the things I do can be just as easily done in the afternoon. If I do get up early for some reason, I generally take a nap in the afternoon. I used to feel guilty about this until I found out that Ronald Reagan routinely took a nap in the afternoon. I then decided that, if it's good enough for the President of the United States, it ought to be good enough for me. Of course, Reagan was pretty old at the time, but so am I now. When my dog Splash was getting on in years, he started spending more and more time sleeping, so maybe that's what you're supposed to do when you're old. Of course, both Reagan and Splash got a little funny in the head towards the end, but that doesn't mean that the extra sleep caused it. Does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment