Search This Blog

Monday, April 24, 2023

now we're talking

 I have been wondering for two weeks where Old Dog got the idea that I was born and spent my early years in St Louis, but in his reply he referenced other blogs. Other blogs?

Oh that's right I have started a couple of them.  There is Uncle Ken's Kitchen which I saw as a kind of humor piece centering around some of the strange foods that I eat, well not strange, but anyway, it wasn't that funny or even interesting so I dropped it after a couple of posts.  

And then there was the Champaign Expatriates blog.  There are several of us who used to hang together in Champaign-Urbana and were Cub fans and it began by just writing emails as we were watching the game and sometimes other subjects would crop up.  But then with the big event of The Corona (remember when we called it The Corona, like My Sharona?) on us I thought it might be a good idea to put our letters into a more formal form of discourse the way emails between Beagles and myself became The Institute. 

Didn't last though, it was hard enough to get most of them to write an email any longer than a few sentences let alone go through the formality of posting on a blog.  Most of them were LAS grads, English Major types, yet when faced with writing anything they were like my third grade kids who when faced with writing, well anything, would whine "I don't know what to write."  Well you're talking aren't you?  Just write that.  How can anybody not have anything to say?  Beats me.

I see now where Old Dog got the idea that I grew up in St Louis.  In one of the expatriate posts I am talking about visiting my friends in St Louis when their kids were very small and I abruptly switched to our family moving into the bungalow on Homan Avenue.  

I'm glad that I revisited that blog.  It reminds me of the way I felt when The Corona game upon us.  See, that's what I was trying to do with posting on The Institute about our Corona experiences.  I did not want to flog a dead horse I wanted to explore the way we felt then and the way we feel now, the things we thought then and the different ways we think now.

But that is awfully close to talking about our feelings and I know we guys hate that and I never got any responses.


Speaking of Old Dog's projects, how are the mangoes doing?


I'm with you on the gender and pronoun crapola.  If they want to go on among themselves with that language and it makes them feel good, fine.  But they are, as Old Dog observes, forcing it down our throats.  They have their own little argot which is changing all the time and if you don't keep up with the latest terms then you are labelled anti-LGBTQ (which it seems even as I typed became LGBTQIA is an abbreviation for "lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and/or questioning, intersex,, asexual/aromantic/agender." The “A" in LGBTQIA may also refer to “ally" or “allied," meaning someone who does not identify as LGBTQIA but supports those who do.)

I mean c'mon guys.  That is if it's still okay to use the terms guys which it probably isn't.


Nice having a little conversation guys.



No comments:

Post a Comment