Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 31, 2021

eternal life in the big crunch

 You're right it does not say in that video that eventually all matter in the universe will be torn about atom by atom.  It stops short of that, but that is what will happen according to the current ascendant theory of physics, the big rip.  Videos tend to make my mind wander and knowing that the big rip lies at the end I falsely assumed that the video would get to that point.  Take it from our friend wiki:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_fate_of_the_universe#Big_Rip 


I could never figure out what you are saying about time.  There is no such thing as the speed of time as I explained though I am sure that I have not convinced you.

But I was thinking about that big crunch thing.  Say it takes 20 billion years for the universe to begin to crunch, to become the singularity, to become the big bang, and then evolve into that point where I am again sitting here typing my post.  Actually the big crunch does not think that the universe will come back the same way every time, but we have eternity here so we can rest assured that it will come to those identical times where I am typing the post an infinite number of times, so, you know, same difference.

So let's just compare the current Uncle Ken with the next Uncle Ken.  The same guy down to the electric charges in his brain that guide his thoughts.  But is he me?  20 billion or more years from now when Uncle Ken +1 appears, will I be aware?  Awareness is the key (I think therefore I am).  My actions, my thoughts, could be different but I would still be me.  But shorn of my thoughts and my actions what am I?  What is left?  

On the other hand if Uncle Ken +1 (and +2, and so on) are me, then don't I have eternal life?  For long periods of time I do not exist but for every big bang I have around 100 years and since there are an infinite number of big bangs my life is eternal.  That is assuming that Ken +1 etc, are all me and not some other guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment