Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Dick Biondi, R.I.P.

Reading his obituary in the Sun-Times I fell down one of those deep memory holes, recalling what a time of strange innocence it was in the mid 60s.  WLS was the big dog of Top 40 radio and Biondi ruled the airwaves.  Parents hated him, so you know the kids just had to love him and listened to him religiously.  And then WCFL changed its format and the radio wars began in Chicago, the hip upstarts challenging the old fogies at 'LS.  Good times, good times.  Hanging at the beach, all of the transistor radios tuned to one of the two stations so you didn't need to bring your own.  They both played pretty much the same music, it was only the on-air personalities that differed.  We didn't have California Girls at Foster Beach but the girls from Taft High School came awfully close.

Since you guys are a few years older than me I'm not sure if you have the same memories as I do but that was my reality as I recall it.  Here's a pic from my freshman year in high school that I managed to hang onto, even signed with a fountain pen.  In my mind a very class act.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment