Search This Blog

Friday, January 20, 2023

more rabbit holes

 In an earlier post I was talking about reading that Gleick chaos book, and I still am.  It is still sitting on the bathroom shelf being regularly read in accordance with my regularity.

And then Old Dog wrote:  everything changes all the time, everywhere, and nothing is constant. 

Which he ascribes to Thelonious Monk, and well he might have said it but such sentiments were first spoken according to our records by Heraclitus around 500 BC.  I believe that there was another Greek about that time he was saying that nothing ever changes, but you know philosophers.

Anyway I was being regular this morning and came across this fellow Hoppensteadt and it turns out he did a couple films (videos) on the subject, so I went to Old Dog's favorite rabbit hole, and found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0gDLEHbYCk

which illustrates one of the fundamental ideas of chaos in a clever way, also mentioning Heraclitus.  It's maybe a bit too glossy, and meanders a bit but once you get to about six minutes it delivers.  

I would like to submit it to my associates and hear their responses if they are in a mood to respond.

Happy weekend Gentleman


No comments:

Post a Comment