Search This Blog

Monday, September 5, 2022

Fiddling around

But the next day when they took off the bandages I could see for miles and it knocked my socks off.  Did Old Dog's socks remain on his feet?

My experience was different than Uncle Ken's; the socks remained on my feet, or they would have if I was wearing any.  No bandages, instead they taped a clear plastic shield over my eye, kind of like a sneeze guard and removed it the next day.  I had to wear it while sleeping for a few days, though.  I was expecting a pleasant drug induced haze from the anesthesia but no dice; I told them they need a new dealer for better drugs.  Not much waiting around after the surgery, only about 45 minutes and I was outta there.  Walking was a little tricky because the right eye now had very good vision but the left eye was still crappy.  Less than two weeks from now I'll have the other eye worked on and then it's just a matter of time before I get used to my new eyeballs.  Maybe I won't need glasses at all, but we'll see, ha, ha.  I'll be glad when I can't stop with all the post-surgery eye drops.

-----

Labor Day already, how tempus fugit.  A big deal in the Beaglesonia area, the walk across the bridge.  That's something that I just learned about, and something that I wish I would have done earlier in my life.  Maybe it's not too late but five miles is quite a hike and then you have to go back.  Has Mr. Beagles ever taken the trek?

-----

After Uncle Ken posted the images from his visit to the old 'hood I couldn't help but go to Google Earth and try to get a better sense of the area.  I'd forgotten that you Sout' Siders went to different grade schools so it took a while for me to get my bearings.  I had no idea what Talman's was but I learned it was a bank and quite a major institution unless Google is lying to me.  The building was razed in 2013 so that Starbucks is newer construction.  And it's a good trick to go south of Cicero, don't you think?  

-----

Good to see a honeybee on your balcony, Uncle Ken.  Is this the first time you've seen any?

My own little indoor garden is moving along, albeit slowly.  Some seeds have germinated but they haven't gotten any further after I put them in potting soil.  Maybe I'm re-potting them too early, or too late.  Plants can be fussy that way.  The date palms have really slowed down, only 8" tall so far.  I have some honeydew melons creeping along the windowsill; their leaves don't look as green as I think they should be but at least they're growing.  The mangos are looking very good, and I think I have a good Valencia orange growing, finally.  Other plants are still in process but until they poke through the soil and show good signs of growth I'm not going to mention them.

-----

The way I always looked at aging is that the older you get fun becomes less important and comfort becomes more important.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, I think.  It could be that I am hard-wired to be contrary and like to do things the hard way, just to see what happens.  Comfort is fine but it's not a big priority for me; no padded furniture and I'm still sleeping on the floor.

And "fun" is more important to me now that the clock is ticking down and the days are numbered, but maybe I have a weird notion of "fun."  Fiddling with my plants is fun, experimenting in the kitchen is fun, learning new stuff is fun.  I don't know if I'll be picking up the old accordion but I have some new harmonicas, so that's fun too.  My sister and her husband are moving into a new home, not far from their current place, and in the process of going through old crap she found my maternal grandfather's fiddle.  He was quite a character and scared me as a little kid but now I can appreciate what he was doing.  I've already got a new set of strings and I figure, it's never too late to learn how to play a fiddle.  Why not?  Sounds like fun to me.  The skateboard and unicycle will have to wait until next summer, I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment