Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

no time of heroes

Wow, you went to graduation with a non-stop ticket for Anchorage for the very next day, sitting on your dresser drawer I assume.  I guess nobody ever accused you of not acting on what you believed in.  I still remember the shock of your classmates, and especially of the muckety mucks of the faculty, at your decision to not go to college and tossing that perfectly good Gage Park education aside without ever setting foot in the ivied halls.  Just curious, have you ever along the way took a course in a community college or anything else?  Have you ever set foot in a classroom again, anything like it?

I traced your route on Google maps.  Most of us mainlanders, or whatever you guys up there called us, know you were very far north, but we don't realize how far west you were.  Quite a drive.  I don't expect you stopped along the way anywhere to buy souvenirs?  Have you ever made any trips since landing on the tip of the top of Michigan?

I think I have read To Kill a Mockingbird.  I don't think I have ever seen the movie the whole way through, but I have seen it enough here and there to be pretty familiar with.  And the story is so ingrained in our culture that it is hard to not know approximately what it is about. 

Or maybe I don't.  I had always rather assumed that Atticus got the guy off, he was a noble lawyer wasn't he?  But a visit to wiki revealed that he was convicted, though never hanged because he was lynched first.

Well the whole thing is kind of irrelevant because the book was whitewashed a bit to make a hero out of lawyer, and what people like is well, the Hollywood good guys.  You know if you have a real person for a hero, and you read about him or her, you always discover that they maybe cheated on their spouse or maybe they backstabbed and kissed ass on their trip to the top.

I make an exception here of course for that deer in heat urine guy with the tv show, everybody knows he was good and honest through and through.  I don't know why Hollywood hasn't made a movie about him.  I would have him be his own lawyer, and I'd throw in a little lame kid who is bullied in school, and one of those dogs with a ring around his eye.

Anyway I think we are best off without heroes, and certainly best off without heroes who are totally made up.

I've read the introduction to the book.  It appears that it will be quite academic with a lot of definitions of terms, but I'll read on.

No comments:

Post a Comment