Search This Blog

Thursday, July 2, 2015

baking cakes

Yeah that's the movie.  I think the point was everybody sought out the deaf man to tell their troubles to, and since he couldn't hear what they said they all thought he was on their side, but actually he doesn't care all that much and none of them care about his problems.  And they're all looking for love, but it's a lonely job, because oh, the world is so indifferent.  Or something like that, or maybe something else, who knows. 

Well that's the thing, it doesn't really matter what the artist's intent was, as long as you take something away from it, as long as the artist has put a sufficiently complex message in there and done it artfully, that's a job well done.  That's what's wrong with those genre movies like thrillers and romcoms, their stories are one dimensional, like a piece of string, and lead right from where the bad guy does some evil thing, or the guy steps on the girl's toe, and leads straight to where the good guy punches the bad guy in the mouth in the abandoned warehouse down by the river, or the the girl, after all those misunderstandings, takes him back when he makes some grand gesture of apology like buying her a yacht. 

I think we've talked about movies before.  I watch one every Saturday night, I read the reviews, and try to figure out if I will like the movie or not.  I know some of the reviewers so I know how they think.  Ebert was the best, from reading him I could generally tell if I would like a movie regardless of whether he liked it or not.

I define ignorance also as not knowing many facts, and stupidity as just not being a very good thinker, you may have the facts at hand but you don't know how to put them together right.  I think we are pretty close on that.

You know I think we are born with morality due to our extended childhood and our very social nature.  Well it's a couple things isn't it?  We want to do right for everybody, but we want to do a little better for ourselves.  Some guys want to do good for all humanity, and some want to do good just for their tribe, and some just for their family, and some just for themselves.

That breaking the rules thing.  I used to think that about people who had issues with their church, well specifically the Catholic church, because we prots can just walk down the street and knock on another church door, or one after that, and if we still don't find what we like, we can just start our own. 

But the thing about the Catholic church, and I guess we could extend the analogy to include the United States, is that it is always changing, and those that want change are rebelling not so much against the institution, but against the current guys running it, who likely got there by changing rules themselves.

Well now we have these guys urging civil disobedience against gay marriage. You have the guys who don't want to bake cakes for gay weddings.  This is all rather silly, most gay people aren't going to want some enemy baking their cake and possibly putting ex lax into the frosting.  But there will be some guys who want to make a point, and will go to the anti gay baker who, instead of just saying he happens to be out of flour that day, will scream about his rights being invalidated because he is being forced to abet a crime against nature, and then there will be an article in the paper and then the politicians will weigh in, and then there will be demonstrations and speeches and whatever and I expect everybody will be feeling very righteous, and truth be told, having a pretty good time.

The clerks who refuse to issue licenses will have to be fired though, because they won't be doing their job.  And some will complain, what about those civil rights marchers, but if they remember correctly they will know that those guys got arrested.

It sounds like what I am talking about is supernatural, and maybe technically it is, but I think supernatural is more like believing in spirits, generally some kind of living thing, that reaches out into this world and does something, whereas my thing, my meaning or whatever, never makes it into this world, and I think it is all an illusion made of the all the junk stuffed into my subconscious.

I always wondered that about God, if He loved us, and He wanted us all to love Him, why wouldn't He show up every now and then?

No comments:

Post a Comment