Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Hitting the Books

My two books from amazon came today. I read the introduction to Rev. Al's book. It is not fun to read, but I'm sure there's some interesting stuff in there. I think it's a college text book and I haven't read one of those in a long time. If I start bogging down, I'll just scan over the boring parts and glean what I can out of it. I mean, it's not like there's going to be a test on it afterwards. I leafed through the other book, and it looks to be more interesting, but we should probably start with The Color Line. I was disappointed that there was not more biographical information on the authors. Maybe I should have gotten the hard cover version, but it's too late now.  It did say that Alan B. Anderson was teaching at Western Kentucky University about the same time that our Rev. Al was, so there's a good chance it's the same guy.

It's a strange feeling to cross trails with somebody you haven't seen in half a century, but of course we already know about that. Talking to you about the old days makes me feel like it all happened yesterday instead of in the dim distant past. If Rev. Al is still alive, he must be about 80 years old by now but, when I think of him, all I see is that nice young preacher who went back to school to learn  more stuff after taking a stab at the real world. He must have felt more at home in the academic world, because it looks like he spent most of his life there. More power to him but, as you already know, it was not my cup of tea. I did take one college level class back in the 80s, Human Growth and Development. It was interesting but, if I had it to do over again, I would just read the book on my own time. If you could turn back the clock, would you go back to school or someplace else?

I never did take another long road trip like the one from Alaska to Chicago. I have flown a few places, but that's not the same. When you look out the plane window, if you can even see the ground, it's like watching it on television or Google Earth. The first few years in Cheboygan, I explored around Michigan some, but then I settled down to a few trips a year down below to see my parents. Since my mom died in 2002, I hardly go anywhere. I don't miss it, everything I like and need is right around here. That's why I wanted to live in Michigan when I grew up, so I wouldn't have to spend half of every weekend driving back and forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment