Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Buying Books and Selling Houses

I just ordered both books, at least I think I did. I wasn't sure that I had done it right, so I tried to get a confirmation and a receipt, but I must have clicked on the wrong thing and ended up hopelessly lost. Well, either I will get the books or I won't. If I don't, then I'll have to try again.

In theory, you should be able to sell or not sell your house to anyone, but the Civil Rights Act changed all that. You can still pick and choose your buyer, though, if you don't advertise the house for sale. You just pass the word around that you might be interested in selling your house. Then, if somebody you don't like offers to buy it, you just say that you decided that you don't want to sell it after all. If you publically advertise your house for sale, and somebody offers to pay your asking price, you have to sell it to him. At least that's my understanding of it.

Before the Act, there were "blockbusters", White guys who would buy a house from White folks, then turn around and sell it to colored folks. As soon as one colored family moved in, all the other houses on the block would be put up for sale. The blockbuster would buy them cheap and sell them to more colored folks at a profit. To my knowledge, there is still no law requiring White homeowners to stay put after the first Black family moves in, which is what they would need if they wanted truly integrated neighborhoods.

We have discussed this affirmative action thing before. Of course a case can be made for it, but answer me this if you can: If affirmative action is such a good thing, why are so many Blacks still on the bottom rung of the socio-economic ladder after 50 years of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment