Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

"Don't Start No Shit, and There Won't Be None"

There was this Black guy that I knew in the army who used to say that a lot. It was meant as a joke, kind of like, "Back off, mothah!", but all in jest. He was really a very peaceful guy, not like those Irish-Americans who used to mix it up with the Limeys down at Steffanie's bar. Have you read my story about that? If not, I'll post it here tomorrow. Steffanie's was one of those fighting bars, but only on a Saturday night. Any other night of the week it was just a friendly neighborhood bar.

I remember those friendly fights in elementary school. I never started one, but I never backed down from one either. Well, except for the first time, when I didn't know how to deal with it. When we got to Gage Park, they told us that anybody caught fighting would be suspended, no matter who started it, which kind of took the fun out of it. I think I've told you before how I ended up dealing with that. I remember "P", but didn't know that he was a fighter. I think I told you before how disgusted I was when he broke up with "W" because he wanted to save all his strength for football.

When I think about it, that was a dumb thing to say about U.S. troops never defending White people. Truth be known, that's exactly what I was sent to Germany to do, me and about a million other guys that were stationed in Europe during the Cold War era. I guess I'm still pissed off that our government never did anything to help the Czechs, Poles, Hungarians, and East Germans when they were trying to liberate themselves from Russia, yet they were eager to go to Korea and Vietnam to liberate Asian people who didn't even want to be liberated. This Ukraine thing brought it all back to me. I could be wrong, but I will be surprised if they do anything to help the Ukrainians, other than make speeches and fool around with economic sanctions, which they will drop as soon as it starts to disrupt the global economy.

When most people talk about race, they mean Black, White, and Asian, but the older definition means subgroups within those three categories, like the Celtic, Slavic, and Nordic people. Semites are a true race by that older definition, and they fall into the Caucasian, or White, racial group. The Arabs, Egyptians, and all the other Mid East people are also Semites, except for the Persians, or Iranians, who originated in Kazakhstan. Also from Kazakhstan, or somewhere around there, came many of the Eastern European Jews. History and legend get kind of mixed together here, but there was a Pagan tribe or race that was caught between the Nordic Christians and the Turkic Muslims to their south. Both sides were putting pressure on them to convert to their religion, but they weaseled out of it by becoming Jews. Later, their country was over run by somebody, and many of the refugees ended up in Eastern Europe. I read this in a borrowed book a long time ago, but I don't remember the title or the author, and the guy I borrowed it from has since died. This might make a good weekend research project, I'm sure that Wiki must have something about it. The people in question were called Kazars, or something like that.

The term "white" doesn't always mean a race, or at least it didn't used to. I remember from the novel "The Virginian" by Owen Wister where this one guy says, "I've got a French name, but I'm white." and this other guy responds, "I'll say you're white!" I think this was meant as a compliment, something like "You're okay in my book!". I have heard people in real life say, "That's mighty white of you." to mean "That was a good thing you did." Also in real life, I have heard the Arabs called "Sand Niggers". Of course you and I would never use a derogatory term like that, but I have heard other people use it. Anyway you look at it, this racial stuff is not all black and white.

I don't want to rule the world, but I wouldn't mind being a consultant to the guy who does. Consultants get to tell people what to do and, if it doesn't work out so well, they can usually evade the consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment