Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

a story is just a story

I think I’ve explained that the best way to bring about KBW is not through elections, not from the top down, not by seizing power and imposing my agenda, but by creating the new man, or maybe I should say the new KBW man, because other agendas have their own new men.

So it’s a grassroots thing which I have been pursuing through casual conversations, mostly in bars, where people are more amenable, but also more prone to arguments, which as you know, I enjoy. Maybe I enjoy them more than promoting KBW, which is a problem, if I ever achieve the world dominance which I crave, who will I argue with? Maybe as the tide of KBW covers the world we will have to leave a few enclaves, like Beaglesonia, and maybe some of the northwest where they brew that good craft beer, to their barbarity so that I can drop in and have an argument when I am in the mood.

You’re right, I don’t want to be like onto them or even meet them halfway because I don’t want to abandon my current well-honed arguments and begin arguing about whether space aliens are from Mars or Venus, or if Libras are smarter than Virgos.

If we must speculate about stupid Noah and more specifically about flood stories. I think they are around because people have ever, just as now, suffered through floods, and the stories came down generation through generation, and since they didn’t have any written language I imagine the stories began to vary, and since a story teller likes to tell a good story, I imagine they soon started putting people in them, and pretty soon the story became more about the people than the flood which is what I think the case is with Noah. Speaking of which what is with that odd thing where he got drunk and passed out naked and a couple people put a cloak over him and he got pissed and made one of the guys be a servant to the other for the rest of his life?

Pretty weird shit, but you know, something people can sink their teeth into rather than, it rained and then it rained some more, and guess what it did the next day. And maybe the animals two by two because at one of the shows some drunk heckler kept yelling, “Hey what about the animals then why didn’t they all drown?” I guess when the other heckler started wanting to know what did they all eat, they just ignored him because hauling hay was not as interesting as the march of the animals. And think of how the toymaking industry of the day loved the animals two by two thing.
But it’s that people thing that hooks people. As I’ve illustrated people love to believe these strange and nonsensical stories without a shred of proof, and I have wondered why don’t they just go for science then which is full of plenty of odd things, and has proof to boot. But then science has no people in it, there is no story of the little electron that could, and in the big bang we do have the four energies separating out and atoms being formed and how about that inflation? But nobody pisses anybody off, nobody gets thrown out of a nice garden, no hot babes, a yawner.

I don’t think any stone agers ever figured out that their land had previously been underwater. In the nineteenth century when they came across those fossilized sea plants on the top of mountains, they were scratching their heads until they discovered that land is constantly rising and falling and moving around.

Science is all about figuring out what is going on. The pagans and animalists and shamans were just trying to explain what was going on the best they could. The problem is once they got their magic amulet trade going they never wanted to make any changes in it lest they have to devise new amulets. The way they failed science was in shutting the door on new knowledge.

I don’t know if stories extend any knowledge. I think they are just there to entertain. I think you can watch a Two Broke Girls marathon and come away without your knowledge extended at all. Then there are those moral stories, you know where the good get rewarded and the bad get punished. Mostly we tell them to children because they haven’t been around long enough to figure out that that is not the way the world works. I don’t think anybody becomes more moral by listening to those stories over and over.


I think the whole idea that you can sort of sugar-coat an idea by making it into a story which people will listen to whereas they would be bored by just hearing the fact, is false. People will just listen to the parts they want and ignore the rest. And the whole idea of sugar-coating is wrong. You can sugar-coat a lie as easily as the truth, whereas if you present just the facts why any believer in KBW can take it home and cook it up in his crucible and see what comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment