Search This Blog

Thursday, August 15, 2024

Another Thursday

New and Improved Post with IMP!

What a commercial!  I don't remember any of the details but the tune brought back memories but I never did find out exactly where the yellow went.  I couldn't help but notice that you are never told what IMP is;  it was only a lucky guess that I found out it stood for "Insoluble Meta-Phosphate."  And they completely skipped over irium and its ionic surfactant goodness.  But that's advertising for you, a little misdirection to make you want to part with your precious treasure.

But there was something screwy about the link, I don't know if it was the link or my computer/browser.  I couldn't get it to open, I kept getting the YouTube message "this video is not available."  Good thing that The Wayback Machine is still in business.

-----

Speaking of computer screwiness, Mr. Beagles mentioned that his computer died.  Any idea of the cause or symptoms?  I have a scattershot familiarity with computer hardware and their deaths are always intriguing.  Were you able to save the data from your old box?  I don't want to get deep into the weeds but you mentioned you needed to go to a certain store; nothing at Walmart or Amazon that would do the trick?  Pro tip when shopping at Amazon: add the word "refurbished" after the name of the item you're looking for.  There are deals to be had.

-----

I have no opinion of smart phones; my cheapo "pay as you go" flip-phone still serves me well since I use it only for phone calls and sometimes as an alarm clock.  When I'm out and about and see all the folks with their devices held in their hands I picture them on leashes, just waiting for further instructions.  They always respond immediately when summoned.

Mr. Beagles shows good financial wisdom in his use of credit cards.  A big downside of Capitalism as practiced in these parts is the slippery slope of consumer debt.  You think you can easily pay your balance off but it doesn't always work out that way; you're in over your head before you know it and don't ask me how I know this.  Now I'm fine with only two credit cards (not counting Target; they give a 5% discount).  One card is for online purchases, the other is for the rare purchases that require more cash than I usually have on hand and I never carry them unless I know I'm going to use them.  And they're paid off every month, in full.  I like to have a nice wad of walking around money but I can't always get to one of my bank's ATMs.  And isn't it nice that some police stations have ATMs in case you need some quick dough to make your bail?  Or so I've been told.

-----

And just so Uncle Ken doesn't look like some rube, it's Pizzeria Due, not Duo.  Back in the day, about 50 years ago or so, Due's pizza was supposed to be the better pie but don't ask me, I don't think I've ever been to Uno's.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment