Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 13, 2024

An August post

I noticed something in that article about RFK, Jr. that Uncle Ken copied and pasted from The Hill.  They misspelled the name of that New York steakhouse, something other online sources did not do, even as they copied the same source material from, I think, The New Yorker.  So, maybe The Hill isn't as trustworthy a source as some folks might think.  A little further research surprised me with the extent of RFK, Jr.'s drug use in his past.  Heroin is a little too much, don't you think?

-----

Seems to me that as time goes by our differences become more glaring.  I don't think we are on the same page; it seems like you guys like things in black & white, you're either on this side or that side, no middle ground.  The Old Dog lacks that clarity of vision, all that is visible are shades of gray.  I think it was Mr. Beagles that mentioned he wasn't going to vote for some guy because he was openly gay.  What does that really mean?  Would he gladly vote for him, maybe even volunteer for his campaign, if he would stay in the closet?  None of my business, of course.  We can vote however we want, for whatever reason, right?

-----

I read a while back that "once you're over the hill you pick up speed," and I heartily agree.  There was a somewhat recent definition of "old age" and it begins at 75 years old, a milestone I hit last year.  The funny thing is I don't feel old at all except for the inevitable physical deterioration we probably share.  And there's a lot that can be done about that; not easy but doable, and that's a rabbit hole that can wait for another day.

-----

Sometimes words are mere playthings and I wonder if you guys are familiar with the Japanese word "shouganai."  One of the meanings is "If there's nothing you can do about it, don't waste time being angry or worrying about it."  I find comfort in that concept as the entertaining spectacle of this election year continues to unfold but next week is the Democratic National Convention and who knows what's going to happen here in Chicago.

And speaking of entertaining spectacles, that NASCAR race downtown was excellent, some of the best racing I've seen if you can ignore the rain.  It was better than I expected with none of that droning in a big circle.  The speeds were low, not much over 100mph but that was okay, and no dramatic crashes, only some fender benders.  And the video coverage was stunning, I thought, with normal traffic and pedestrians visible in the background.

Last year I said, "There is something delightfully absurd and surreal about the whole situation, very much in keeping with the wacky zeitgeist of Chicago."  I think I was right.  Too bad that it's so expensive to attend, more than $100 for a one-day pass.  I don't think so.

-----

Do you guys still listen to vinyl?  There's a couple of good record stores near me and I scored a couple of oldies, can't wait to hear them once I get my turntables calibrated for the proper speed.  The years have not been kind to the rubber belts but soon I'll be listening to The Best of Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs.  Also found a VHS copy of Zulu with Michael Caine and I'm curious to see how it holds up.  Plenty of fun to be had here at The Geezer Chateau!

-----

I'll close with a bit of modern weirdness, luxury dog perfume:

https://boingboing.net/2024/08/05/luxury-fashion-brand-launches-100-perfume-for-your-dog-spurring-an-rspca-warning.html

Maybe it's a fake site but are we not entertained?


No comments:

Post a Comment