Search This Blog

Monday, July 29, 2024

My Voting History

 "Wait a minute.  Did you vote for McGovern in 1972.  Oh now I remember you voted for George Wallace.  Have you ever voted for a democrat in any election?"

I voted for Wallace in 1968 when he ran on a third party. I also voted for him in the primary in 1972, then when he didn't get the nomination, I voted for McGovern in the general election and voted for Republicans for all the other offices.  I believe that's the only time I voted for a Democrat in my life, and that was only because I didn't like Nixon.  I turned Libertarian in 1988 because I didn't like Bush I, and stayed that way until Bush II's second term, when I disagreed with the Libertarians on several key issues.  Since then, I have voted Republican as the lesser of two evils, except for 2016 when I voted Libertarian as the lesser of three evils.  The only president I really liked was Reagan.  Well, there was Eisenhower, but that was when I was too young to know any better.  Jefferson was cool too, but he was way before my time.

This time I'm leaning towards Harris for president, but I'm not sure about the rest of the ballot.  I've got half a mind to vote straight Democrat because the Republicans will never learn their lesson and get rid of Trump until he leads them to big defeat.  Then again, there are a few of them that I'm not sure are raving Trumpists, and don't want to see the Democrats in control of congress as well as the presidency.  We've got a primary coming up August 6, and maybe we can knock a Trumpist or two out of the race with that.  One can always hope.  

No comments:

Post a Comment