Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 28, 2023

my Chicago card

 Nice to see Old Dog pop up after a month.  Not so nice to have my Chicago card questioned.  I don't know where he went in his research, but I was born in Chicago, March 22, 1945.  Shortly after my birth the family moved from an apartment on the west side to Chattanooga Tennessee, where we lived until we returned here to the southwest side bungalow when I was four years old.

My dad was a chemist.  He got a two year degree which I think was kind of hot stuff for the son of a chicken farmer in the early thirties.  His career was in paint.  From what he told me, and I should have asked him way more, some company would require a special kind of paint, paint that could stand heat maybe, and cover rust, and whatever, and probably within a certain price range and they would order it from Trask paint company who would send the message down to the lab where my dad would work on perfecting just the right paint.

My information on this is slight but I think he got into some kind of disagreement with Trask and he got a better offer down in Chattanooga Tennessee, and he moved his wife and two kids down there.  Three years later things smoothed over and he got a better still offer back at the old company and he moved his wife and now three kids back to Chicago to live in the bungalow on Homan Avenue for the rest of his life.

I have a few misty memories of Chattanooga, finding a turtle under the house, something about a big toy firetruck, riding the train back to Chicago and seeing mountains in the train window, worries that my toys were not packed for the move.  I'll ask my older sister more when we have our weekly chat next Sunday night.


Okay I was going over the pandemic to get it all straight in my mind, both my reactions at the time and the straight facts.  One thing I was about to get to before I noticed that I was here all alone, was that mask thing.  I remember that Beagles and I got into quite a tussle over that, and now I wonder sometimes was it all worth it, to get the country all that upset over the matter.  

At the time I got quite incensed over the matter.  Well people were dying, remember those parking lots full of mobile morgues?  And these people not wearing masks were helping to spread it and increasing the threat to my mortality and worse yet prolonging the time we would all have to stay masked and locked down.  I was incensed, but now that it's all over well I just don't know.

I thought that this would be an issue that we would like to chew the fat over, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment