Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 22, 2021

As Time Goes By

 While it's certainly true that the perception of time is subjective, that's not what Uncle 
Ken and I have been arguing about.  What we have been arguing about is Einstein's concept of time or, more properly, spacetime.  I don't claim to understand the math behind it, but I think I have a layman's grasp of the broad general principles involved.  One of those principles is that, as the velocity of a moving body increases, time actually slows down.  It doesn't just appear to slow down, it really slows down.  When Einstein first developed this theory, there was no empirical way to either prove or disprove it, he just figured it out in his head.  Subsequent experiments conduced years later by others have tended to confirm it, although not definitively prove it.  

If you want to know more about it, you could check out the links from Wikipedia that I posted, which Uncle Ken has refused to do.  It's like the time I was arguing with one of my paper mill colleagues about something in the Michigan game and fish codes.  I brought a copy of the codes to work the next day, read the part to him that confirmed my assertion, and then shoved the copy across the table to him, challenging him to read me something that supported his position. He shoved the copy back to me without looking at it, saying "I don't need to read it, I already know what it says."

Good luck with those maple tree seeds Old Dog.  If you want a seedling, you might have better luck finding one growing wild (we call that "volunteering") in somebody's garden or even a crack in the sidewalk.  Trees put out a lot of seeds and only a small portion of them ever sprout.  The one that has already sprouted is a proven survivor.  

I don't need to plant trees at all on my property, they grow wild like dandelions.  I need to mow my trails and clearings once a year to keep them from reverting to forest.  


No comments:

Post a Comment