Search This Blog

Thursday, January 14, 2021

Still Sorting

 I'm not ready to grind any axes just yet, I'm still trying to sort this thing out.  I see that the House has already passed their article of impeachment, and it appears that the Senate will not do anything until after the inauguration.  This guy says you can't impeach a president after he has left office, and I tend to agree with him, at least for now.  It has occurred to me that it might be better to wait until Trump has left office and then try him in the regular courts.  The reason I think that would be legal is Richard Nixon was never formally charged with anything, and yet Gerald Ford found it necessary to pardon him for any and all charges that might arise out of Watergate.  If a former president cannot be charged as a private citizen for things he did while he was still president, why would Ford have thought it necessary to pardon him? 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/cotton-senate-lacks-authority-to-hold-impeachment-trial-once-trump-leaves-office/ar-BB1cJDu4?rt=0&ocid=Win10NewsApp&referrerID=InAppShare

No comments:

Post a Comment