Search This Blog

Thursday, August 14, 2014

phonetic spelling, boots on the ground, and ketchop

What you’ve read in the Readers Digest (Is that still around? Back when I was a kid my grandmother used to read it so I thought she was an intellectual because nobody else I knew ever read anything), is substantially what I have read. One book I read lately tried to make the case that all languages come from one original root language, but I don’t know if they ever made their case. The thing is we are just wired for language, and if two babies are separated at birth from adults they will develop their own language, much like twins do. I should do some research on that twins thing. I’ve heard about it anecdotally, but I don’t think I’ve ever read anything on the subject.

I think the reason English is the world language has more to do with conquest than anything else. I can’t imagine how horrified a person learning English must become when he learns that every word is spelled every which way. I, of course, have long been a proponent of phonetic spelling, and never tire of talking about its benefits. Unfortunately other people never tire of not listening to me.

The Chinese guy said he was forty, though he looked twenty, you know how that is. How do they do that? I think most Chinese are happy with their government. They have always had authoritarian governments, and a booming economy is all most people care about. I don’t know how Uncle Sugar boosted the Chinese economy, but if he did, it’s a good thing, because who else would loan us the piles of money that they are so willing to do?

This boots on the ground thing is kind of slippery. I remember maybe a month ago Obama made a speech about throwing some ‘advisors’ (How much advising do these guys need?) into Iraq, but I think that hinged on changing the government (Malaki) in Iraq, and I don’t think that ever happened. The latest I heard was we were going to put some guys in to help those Yazidis get off the mountain or something. But I’m not sure if that ever happened either, so I don’t know.

Was just now listening to an interview with some general on NPR, and he thinks we need to send in weapons and advisors to defend the homeland from ISIS. I agree these are bad guys and a force in mideast, but I don’t see where homeland comes in, and I just hate the expression homeland. Why don’t we just call it the fatherland and be done with it? How come none of these other armies can stand up to ISIS? One of the things is they have those nifty weapons that they took from the armies that we gave them too. Aren’t they going to take them from them again?

Still there are those Yazidis sitting on those mountain tops, and the penchant of ISIS of killing prisoners and civilians. In principle I was against the war with Serbia, because it really had nothing to do with us, but then I saw those photos of the guys in the concentration camps. Shouldn’t we do something?

I have heard about the Scots seceding, but I have never read to any depth on it. Why do they want to secede, what horrible things have the English done to them lately? Aren’t they still allowed to speak that burry language of theirs, can’t they wear kilts if they want to, and eat all the haggis they can stomach? I suspect they have just watched Braveheart too many times while drinking Scotch whiskey.


During my research on tartar sauce I learned that there are different groups of tartars all over southwestern Russia, and they are Turkish people, who to my eye have always seemed half Caucasian and half Asian. Try looking up catsup some time. it has an interesting story, what with the two spellings, and I believe it started out as fish oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment