Search This Blog

Thursday, August 7, 2014

okay then

I still think it’s semantics. I think when you talk of money you are talking of currency, and when I talk of money it is something a little more abstract, call it value. If you ask me how much money I have, I would include my cash, my house, and my stock holdings.

If I had a million bucks and half of that was in stock on Monday, if that stock went down the toilet Tuesday, Wednesday I would have a half million. My cash would be the same. My house would be the same, although if I had to sell it, I might not get as much as I would have yesterday, assuming my loss was part of a general decline in the market and people who had money there lost theirs and didn’t want to spend a lot of cash for my house. Of course this might not matter to me if I planned on leaving my house feet first. 

 My stock holdings would be zero. What I had thought of as my money there would be gone, gone, gone, solid gone. Well Beagles would say that I shouldn’t think of that as money because money was went into the buying and selling of it, but once it got in the market it was in a whole other world. Very well then.

But if you limit money to a strict currency definition it loses a lot of its importance. Who cares? And you know sometimes you have like inflation and deflation and sometimes a can of corn costs a dime and sometimes it costs ten bucks, and what’s really important is that can of corn because you can eat it, as opposed to admiring that portrait of George Washington. So on the one hand we measure everything, like my house, by what we can sell it for, because money is the measure of everything, but then we have to turn around and measure money by what we can buy with it.
Well there I am, two paragraphs, again I am bored and confused. Maybe it’s like talking about the meaning of life. At first it seems so important, but then the more you talk about it, the more pointless it becomes.

I think you have it exactly right about scientists. Of course nothing is ever proved beyond the shadow of a doubt in science, that is the province of mathematics, but even in mathematics it has been proved that there are certain theorems that are true, but can never be proven.



I was walking around yesterday morning thinking about those books I have been reading lately and I came across all these cool theories, but sitting here this morning I am not able to replicate them. I think better walking than sitting. Maybe a long weekend will give me time to think some things through. I am having a visitor this weekend arriving on Friday and she won’t be gone till Monday afternoon so I might not be able to get back to you until Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment