Search This Blog

Sunday, February 2, 2014

If we were all Beaglesonians

Your grandma is basically correct, they are all to some extent crooks, a truly honest man probably doesn’t have much of a chance of getting ahead in politics. But it’s always been my contention that some are more crooked than others, and you have to choose the ones who are the least crooked.

The problem I have with “They’re all crooks,” is that a lot of people use that as an excuse to not read the news, not keep up on what’s going on, not bother to vote.

An interesting historical footnote on rail gauges. In the whole world there are only two railroad gauges: the ones that the Russians use, and the one that everybody else in the world uses. The Russian revolution took place before they started building railroads, and they didn’t want anybody else using their railroads to invade them. Make of that what you will.

I thought I had made such a brilliant point about how the commies and libertarians are alike in having these ideal structures for government, both of which are easily corrupted by the human natural, but then I thought well what keeps any form of government from being corrupted, but then I thought, Beagles will never notice that, but he has.

Roughly between the two of us, I am the more pro government guy and Beagles is the more anti government guy. And when I spoke of how easily the railroad barons bought off the government I wasn’t doing myself any favors. I guess all I can say is that whatever the form of government we need the vigilance of the people to keep it on the straight and narrow, which sounds pretty good, but is actually pretty weak, but it is all I have right now.

I think we agree on the point that those guys who are clamoring to exploit our public lands are up to no good.

The Articles of Confederation went down the tubes because it was too weak. Every state could go its own way, but together they couldn’t go anywhere. Since the states saw themselves as independent entities the two senators per state rule was a sop to get the less populous states to join. And we have to remember that this was the same constitution that counted slaves as 2/3 of a person, so I think we can say that was then and this is now. It’s undemocratic to give some people more representation than other people.

Beaglesonia, I hate their gun control laws, but as far as I know all of the citizens are as honest as the day is long.

No comments:

Post a Comment