Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

"I Heard it Through the Grape Vine"

Remember that old song? I was just reminded of it, but I didn't really hear any of this stuff through the grape vine. Like I said, I read it in the newspaper. Our local paper does publish some syndicated political columnists, some from the left and some from the right, and their national news articles come from the API, but I haven't noticed any of their stuff that was credited to Obamasucks.com. Is that a real website or were you just being sarcastic? I am not familiar with either the Heritage Foundation or this "Lee character" whom you mentioned. I have heard of Bill Nye the Science Guy, but I have never watched his show and wouldn't recognize him if I saw him walking down the street.

I guess the allegation that Obama might be breaking the law here came from my own interpretation of the constitution. I am not a lawyer, and I don't even play one on TV, but I can read and have read the constitution. It says that all legislation must originate in congress. Once they pass a bill, it goes to the president and becomes a law if he signs it. If he vetoes it, congress can over ride his veto with a 2/3 majority vote. It does not say that the president can unilaterally change a law after it has been passed, but maybe that's not what has happened here. Sometimes a law delegates the power to make regulations to another government agency, as long as they stay within the boundaries that the law specifies. Maybe this law gave the president the power to change or extend the deadlines originally specified in the law. I don't know this for a fact, but it is one possibility. Another possibility is that selective enforcement of the laws thing which we talked about. I have never heard of this before but, of course, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I never say anything good about Obama because that's your job. Remember, I'm the right wing nut and you're the left wing nut. You want something good said about Obama, say it yo' damn self!

I never heard of this "long form - short form" thing before either, but I think it's pretty much what you said. I don't know why everybody made such a  big deal about it at the time, maybe it was a slow news week. I'm not sure what Donald Trump had to do with it, but I think he was considering running for president himself at the time. Funny, though, that none of the other opposition candidates seemed to have that kind of influence on Obama. Doesn't Trump have some kind of TV show where he goes around telling people "You're fired!"? I have never watched the show but have seen ads for it. What a dork!

I think this marijuana thing is more complicated than you seem to realize. It's not just about whether or not we believe in legalizing the stuff. In general, federal laws have supremacy over state laws, but I have never heard of federal laws being enforced in one state and not another. I don't understand how Obama could have tried to enforce the law in California and not been successful. If the states keep legalizing pot one by one, I suppose it would get to a point where the federal law would be difficult to enforce at all. Then, if another president comes in later and tries to reverse the trend, I don't know how that would play out. Mark my words: this thing is going to make some lawyers a lot of money someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment