Search This Blog

Monday, December 16, 2013

Snow Jobs and Other Fables




We got a couple feet of snow over the weekend. I know you've seen snow before, but I wanted to see how Blogger handled photos. These two loaded quickly with no glitches. I would have put them side by side instead of one on top of the other, but that's no big deal. As clingy as this snow looks, you'd think it was heavy and wet, but it isn't. It was knee deep, but I walked thorough it like it wasn't there. That last batch we got was like that too and, within a few days, it had settled to about half of it's original depth.

Pork wasn't the only thing that Moses told his people not to eat, you know. There were several other things, and Moses pronounced them all "unclean". I suppose that's why somebody came up with the trichinosis theory. There is also some evidence to support your theory about keeping the Jews from socializing with the heathens. One prohibited dish that sounds really strange was "a kid (goat) boiled in its mother's milk". It seems that this was a favorite of the Canaanites, and it might have had some religious significance for them, kind of like our Thanksgiving turkey. I don't think that Moses felt sorry for the poor little goat, which I'm sure wasn't boiled alive anyway. It's more likely that he just didn't want his people celebrating any pagan holidays.

The practice of keeping bits and pieces of human bodies in churches dates back to the Middle Ages. It seems like something that might have been carried over from the old pagan days, but I don't remember ever reading or hearing that. These bits and pieces were called "relics", and they allegedly were part of some long dead saint. Truth be known, most of them were probably fakes, brought back from the Holy Land by crusaders who bought them from slick Arab merchants.

I know they eat horses in Europe, and in Canada too but, for some reason, we don't and I don't know why. A horse eats pretty much the same stuff that a cow eats, so it seems like they should be good to eat. Remember that big horse meat scandal when we were kids? Selling horse meat was not illegal at the time, but they were passing it off as beef because nobody would have bought it if they sold it as horse meat. Now that's got to be a cultural thing. It might be different with dogs and cats because they are carnivores. I'm not sure about that either because I have read that people eat cougars, and a cougar is nothing but a big pussy.

One of the magazines I get is called "Fur-Fish-Game" and, as the name implies, they have a lot of articles about trapping. I have never been all that interested in trapping, but I read the magazine because I like the fish and game parts. I read the fur parts too, mostly because they talk about the lifestyle and habits of the fur bearing animals, which is interesting to me. What I have learned from this is that trapping involves a lot of work and skill. You don't just set traps all over the place and collect a bunch of animals the next day, there are all kinds of special things you have to do with your traps if you want to be a successful trapper. Then, if you want top dollar for your furs, you have to process them yourself, which involves more skill and work. I have a hard time keeping up with the hobbies and projects that I have now, and it's not getting easier as I get older. In some areas, farmers will pay a trapper to clean out problem animals, usually beaver, but I haven't heard of anybody around here doing that.

Trappers and people who hunt with dogs occasionally come into conflict, but we try to minimize that because we all have to stick together against the antis. A properly set leg hold trap usually won't cause serious injury to a dog, and a responsible trapper checks his traps almost every day and releases any dogs or kitties that he has caught. My beagle Splash came limping home once after being gone for several days. He had a mark on his paw that looked like it had been caused by a trap, but he soon recovered from it and was his old self again. I didn't know of anybody trapping in he neighborhood, and still don't but, of course, I don't know everybody. Cheboygan is not that small of a town.

I used to think that all the antis were a bunch of communists but, truth be known, there are probably other factors that motivate some of them. Of course, that still doesn't make them right. I read once about a bunch of "activists" who went to a mink farm and opened all the cages so the little minkies could run free. The farmer told the reporter who covered the story that his minks, being pen raised for generations, wouldn't know how to survive in the wild and probably died shortly after their liberation.







No comments:

Post a Comment