Search This Blog

Monday, December 9, 2013

Men on the moon and butterfies

My Missouri friend and I got into a discussion about mules on one of our drives, because of the term Missouri Mule she considers herself an expert. She says it has to be a female horse and a male donkey, because if they did it the other way the girl donkey would not be able to handle it, and even if they did it artificially a mule would be too big for her to deliver. Well just something I picked up.

Maybe I used a bad example to say what I meant to about theories. Maybe I should have said green men from Mars arriving and saying that they created the whole thing, and planted that evolutionary evidence because they are jokesters. What I was trying to say was that even the most solid theories of science can theoretically be disproved. I remember reading some article some time ago when they were searching for the top quark. The whole theory of elementary particles was based on it’s existence, but they were having a hard time finding it, and the guy said, well if we can’t find it, it’s back to the drawing board. They did find it eventually.

And I don’t think that science, even that goofy modern physics has much to say about the existence of God one way or another. Except for those people that think the bible is the literal truth as to the flood and Lazarus coming back from the dead, and those guys living for hundreds of years, and all that. I thought the whole idea that those stories might be parables was sort of a modern theory, but books I’ve been reading lately indicate many churchmen thought the same thing as long ago as the reformation. Back then there were even some saying the same thing you said, in that maybe the whole bible is false, but that doesn’t mean the religion is a bad thing.

When I was student teaching and had a class of smart ass seventh graders I had this idea for teaching the coriolis effect. I brought in some balloons and blew them up in front of them and that did get their attention. Then as I was using the balloon to demonstrate the effect I realized that I was doing it all wrong, but by then the balloon thing had lost its charm and nobody was paying any attention to anything I was saying, so it didn’t really matter. I had a lot of incidents like that in my teaching career.

Weather is indeed complicated. In 1961 when computers were new, and time on them was scarce, this guy, Lorenz, was running a computer simulation of weather, and ran short of time one day, and copied the readings, which were all to eight or nine decimal places, close enough he figured, and plugged them in the next time he got computer time. But when he compared those results with results he had gotten when he hadn’t been interrupted, they were completely different. They weren’t different in the sense that it snowed in July, but one reading had it raining and cold and one had it sunny and hot. Anyway that is where the butterfly effect comes in, where the fluttering of a butterfly in Peoria will effect whether or not it rains in Berlin on July 4th next year. And it’s why predicting the weather a couple days from now is way harder than sending a man to the moon.

Speaking of weather are you guys getting slugged today? While it is merely cold and unpleasant here, I hear that the might of the storm is headed for the upper peninsula. Speaking of which I was wondering about bears. When I was talking about cats coming in all different sizes, the next closest animal I could think of was bears. I think they go from about the size of a big dog to those intimidating grizzlies. Do you have any bears up there?


I remember those Mercator maps. I used to wonder why Greenland wasn’t ruling the world, and why they called Australia a continent when it was barely the size of Great Britain. I suppose they could have made a similar map from the south where I would be wondering why Antarctica wasn’t ruling the world, and why the hell anybody was worried about that teeny tiny Russia.

No comments:

Post a Comment