Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Waiting on the Nickel Line

 Mopey?   This from the guy who championed Marie, which is a deadly ear worm that infected me for close to a year?  I would be out on a long walk thinking my deep thoughts, perhaps formatting them in a way that my colleagues might find interesting (fat chance) in my next post, when all of a sudden:

And tears, will fall, as you recallThe moon, in all its splendor,The kiss, so very tender,The words "will you surrender"

Hard to format those thoughts with that full moon buss in the bushes from that tempestuous Marie of the luscious lips ringing in my ears.

And if I recall correctly, and I am sure that I will be corrected if I am mistaken, the scourge was rather fond of Drops from the Faucet.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QAXmqIdweAOh that horn, the tinkling piano, those dry, sad lyrics, Nanci's phrasing.  It is no wonder the Marie loving mope would enraptured.

Listened to it again, tracked down the writer, found his wiki stub, and from there his funeral stuff.  Studio musician, music teacher, hung with Nanci a bit, had two or three widely spaced albums that I never heard of, lived in Greenwich Village.  Never really made it to the big time, but made a living with music and didn't have to wipe down tables or sell insurance.

Ping-ponged through the internet, like Old Dog with his searching of the blog, and came across this:

I passed a marquee, Third Avenue
"Ramona" with Loretta Young and I swung myself around
And (headed) uptown to the train

Here was a clue to when it was set.  I had been thinking mid-thirties, and the NYT said 1936 and added:

The New York Times praised its use of new Technicolor technology but found the plot "a piece of unadulterated hokum."

Well so much for that.

Well I was going to go on about the Nickel Road, but I guess I have already strayed way too far.


I saw Barbie too.  We showed it in our meeting room which does not have very good acoustics, so I may have missed some parts.  

I was too old for Barbies, which is to say she debuted after my sister's time for dolls.  They had Betsy Wetsy.  Dames, who can figure them?  She was a big hit but underwent severe criticism of the masses at the dawn of the women's movement.  The CEO's tried to make her relevant, like making her a doctor, a lawyer, an astronaut, you know, but still with all the clothes and standing on tip toes for her high heels, and I think the CEO's were roundly criticized for that also.

But time heals all wounds, and I imagine if you had a Barbie in your politically incorrect girlhood, you loved her like girls love a doll, and you just want to see her do good.

It was pretty good movie.  I liked Barbie Land and the Ken's and all that, and the trip to the Real World and kind of twisting stereotypes.  But the last third of it was a lot of speeches about empowerment, but not too much so you don't roll over the oppressed, and oh, all that Hollywood hooey about presenting a powerful message.  But still, I would give it three stars.


As for spiders, let me introduce a friend of mine:



No comments:

Post a Comment